Chapter 5

I tried not to lose my composure but unfortunately, I felt myself failing to keep calm, so I had to take a deep breath which made the man in front of me smile as if he had accomplished something.

Was he mocking me?

Was he trying to challenge me?

As quickly as possible, I pulled the gun out of my pants and fired it, cutting the side of the man's old and wrinkly face which seemed to shock the man way more than it shocked me. I missed on purpose, but hopefully that taught him a lesson. I didn't have time to play games with him, nor did I even want to play the game to begin with.  Fortunately, he wasn't my target anyway.

Suddenly, someone behind him dropped to the ground and made a thud sound.

"Oh no," someone said as they dropped down to help their fallen comrade, but to no avail.

My aim was great.

A shot to the middle of the head. In the spot right in between their eyes.

"I won't hesitate to pull the trigger again so I'll repeat myself," I said as I stared into the eyes of the man in front of me. "I want to negotiate something."

The man scoffed. "What is it?"

"I'll pay back your money, but I also want to pay the money that Olivia Griffin owes you."

"What?" The man said with an angry look on his face. "Olivia Griffin?"

Nodding, I put the gun back into my pants and lifted my arms up in the air. "Tell me her debt and I'll pay it by fighting for you in the tournaments."

"I see," the man said. "Her family owes me fifteen grand, but they keep missing payments so I'll keep increasing it until they give me what they owe me."

I stared at the man in front of me until I heard a voice inside of my head that sounded so familiar to me, but due to my shock, it took me a little while to match the voice.

Rely.

"Sir, the person in front of you goes by the name of Luis Gomez. He was born October 26th and currently he's fifty-four years old. He retired from working as a cashier thirteen years ago. Currently he is one of the leaders of a gang known as 'Reaper' where they sell both legal and illegal drugs while also owning a few cover businesses around here. He has a few felony counts but has managed to get out of prison many times. I suspect that he knows someone higher up."

Thanks for the info, Rely.

"Of course, sir."

"Luis," I said, then suddenly the man in front of me began walking closer to me, yet I didn't move at all. He pressed the cold tip of the gun up to my forehead and put a lot of pressure on it, almost making me lose my balance.

"How do you know my name?"

I smiled. "Don't get sidetracked, Luis," I said. "Remember the deal we are making and quickly agree to it. I've got better things to do."

After a moment, Luis dropped his gun. "Fine," he said. "You'll work for me in the tournaments until you can pay off both debts."

"No, I work with you temporarily," I said, then turned around and walked away. "You should contact Olivia and her family tonight and notify them that their debt has been paid."

Once I got a few blocks away, I took a small break and walked into an alley where I sat down and held my aching head. It ached so bad that I nearly wanted to throw up, but I managed to keep everything down, until I realized that the buzzing in my head was still there.

"Rely, why did you connect to my chip?" I questioned. "You're never supposed to do that."

"Sorry sir, I noticed that your heart rate increased a substantial amount and got worried. Once I saw that you were capable of handling yourself, I decided to help by searching I.N.T.E.L.'s database to find out who that guy was. Was I wrong in doing so?"