~Chapter 25~

Scar lore WOO!

Scar had many memories.

He always tried to stay positive, but it's hard when he doesn't have many positive memories. He remembers sitting, curled up, on a windowsill, hiding from everyone else in the mansion.

The mansion was always cold and eerie, but never quiet. Scar could always hear the snickering of the other vexes as they slashed each other with their iron swords, not caring for the others injuries. The sound of magic practice could be occasionally heard as well. Scar curled in on himself, gently rubbing at the bandages on his arm. Another reminder of his name.

Vex, unlike most creatures, received their names after their first evaluation. He remembers getting his. He was on the taller and broader side but was clumsy with the height he had. The Illagers and older Vexes took one look him and gave his name. They told him he should be proud of the scars that were surely from hard won battles. Scar was too scared to tell them otherwise.

He remembers the moment he got snagged by an evoker's fangs. A group of Vexes were flying down a hallway being chased by an angry evoker. Scar was in that hallway as well, and was unfortunate enough to get stuck in the crossfire.

And he remembers the aftermath. The look of disappointment on the Illager's faces. Unable to walk and unable to fly. They whispered about him. He had little magic affinity and wasn't great with a sword. There was no reason to keep him alive.

He remembers running away. The moment he found how to direct magic into his legs in order to walk, he ran. There was nothing special about that day, and with no villages nearby Scar was in the dark forest for a while.

He remembers meeting his best friend. Scar had found an abandoned village. Breaking into one of the houses wasn't hard, and he collapsed onto the bed. He doesn't remember falling asleep but he does remember waking up to a cat pawing at his chest. A cat he named Jellie.

He remembers finding a home. The village wasn't too big, but it was big enough that a Watcher was there. He worked as a florist and they thought he was a wizard.

"Hey Scar, I found your familiar," one of his neighbors said, handing Jellie over.

"Familiar?" Scar questioned, taking Jellie into his arms.

"Yeah! You're an elven wizard right?" his neighbor asked, "So I just assumed that she was your familiar."

"Yes, thank you" Scar said, going along with it.

"Can I see your magic?" they excitedly asked.

Shifting Jellie to one arm he used the other one to rub the back of his neck, "I don't know. I tend to hide my magic."

"You know you don't have to hide. The other wizards sensed your magic, they could help you."

"I'm not good with it," Scar said trying to come up with an excuse.

His neighbor smiled, "That's fine, they can teach you how to channel it through crystals."

And Scar remembers nearly dying. After all he wasn't really an elf or a wizard.

"Are you a scouting vex?" The village Watcher hissed, holding Scar against the wall. Scar had distantly hoped that even if they found out he was a vex, they would still accept him. He hadn't done anything in the year he had lived there, and maybe that would show them he wasn't evil. He trusted them.

Scar held Jellie closer to himself as he closed his eyes, attempting to do something he hadn't tried in a while. Something he knew only a Vex could do while using their magic. He let his magic flow through him, filling his body with it's invisible force. Scar felt himself fall as he managed to phase through the wall. He got up as soon as he hit the ground and started running. The village wasn't big, but it was big enough that the Watcher caught up to him before he reached the village boundary.

Scar felt himself get blasted with magic. He was sent flying, and hit hid head on something before counting to tumble along. Scar didn't know what was happening, he was disoriented and everything was blurry. As darkness closed in all Scar could hope was that Jellie was okay.

But despite all this, Scar was determined to stay positive. Afterall he had many good memories as well.

Scar remembers waking up, being cared for by a man who introduced himself as Etho. He was told that Jellie was okay, healthy even, and he would walk out of this with no more than a burn scar. They parted ways a few days later.

Scar remembers meeting Cub. Scar had come across the man passed out in a cave. When Cub had woken up, and after Scar had to explain that he wasn't dangerous despite being a vex, he had told Scar his mistake.His mistake being he had made a deal with an evoker, and was slowly turning into a vex. Scar helped him through it and he made his second friend.

Scar of course also remembers when he found a permanent home. Being welcomed into the palace with nothing more than a warning to not burn the bushes. Something he accidentally did anyway, but it was fine. It didn't matter what species you were, as long as you were kind.

Scar remembers all the time he spent with Grian. It was fun. The Watcher wasn't evil and didn't seem uncomfortable around him either. He hopes it's the first step in proving to the world he isn't evil.

Why Scar is remembering all of this now, he doesn't know. He guesses it's his life flashing before his eyes. It's reasonable. After all, he is running towards his death. He feels weirdly okay with that.

Maybe this will show the warry guards that he's a good person like he says he is. Hopefully Jellie will continue living her pampered life. Hopefully Grian can remember him as a friend.

And just maybe forgive him for causing this.

I NEARLY FORGOT TO POST THIS TODAY