Chapter 72 | Conflict

Start from the beginning

"I assume since Nightmare and I officially broke up, the details of our relationship contract have been voided" Zalga noted.
"'Relationship contract'?" I repeated. "What's that?" I asked as I assisted Smiley in lifting Lazari onto a bed.
"Think of it as a prenuptial, except it's without the marriage part and it's more... supernatural by comparison" she explained simply as I took a step back and gave the doctor some room to work with.
"How so?" I asked, curious about how demonic negotiations worked.
"As demons, we're obviously born with more power than humans" she began. "But, these powers differ from demon to demon. They are generally influenced by your bloodline however" she added.
"Does that mean you and Slenda have similar powers?" I asked.
"Yeah, there's a few" Zalga confirmed. "We can both teleport, we're both uniquely tall and we can harm weaker beings with an airborne disease" she explained.
'Given the description, that's probably 'The Sickness'...' I recalled, thinking back to watching Marble Hornets.
"Oh, and we're both telepaths" she added casually.
"Yeah, I figured that one" I stated casually, pulling up a chair and sitting besides Lazari's bed.

"So what was in your contract anyway?" I asked, wanting to fill the ambient silence.
"Basic stuff really" Zalga answered simply. "Mutual mind reading, no physical abuse outside of the bedroom, no cheating on each other. You know, normal conditions" she listed nonchalantly.
"Right..." I agreed, cringing at the thought of Nightmare and Zalga partaking in BDSM. 'I'm not one to kink shame... but with Nightmare? Was there no one better?' I wondered.
"I certainly hope Laz didn't hear me say that..." Zalga muttered, now realising that we were within spitting distance of her youngest daughter.

"From the looks of things, I think she's gonna be asleep until lunch" Dr Smiley chimed in, helping to change the subject. "Do you know what class Lazari has for third period?" She asked.
"Gym class. It's second and third today" I answered simply. "It's one of those double length periods, we get them for science sometimes too" I added, assuming Smiley was unfamiliar with the school system.
"I see" Smiley responded. "At least that saves me the hassle of emailing one of her teachers, making up an excuse to miss a whole period sounds like a pain in the ass..." she groaned, earning a small laugh from me.
"I'd count this as a lucky break then" I noted with a light chuckle. "If you count me almost getting eaten lucky" I added.
"Oh don't be such a baby, she didn't even get to bite you" Zalga chimed in.
"Eh, good point I guess" I admitted, my mind flashing back to the time Jackie nearly did eat me.

"*sigh* Guess I gotta go back to class now..." I groaned, rising to my feet with a sigh. "How many laps did I do?" I muttered, hoping my brain kept track whilst I was in my dreamscape.
"Don't bother" Smiley stated, now sat at her desk. "Lazari brought you up here, right?" She asked, spinning her chair to look over to me.
"Yeah... so?" I wondered, clearly not following along.
"Since it was you who got brought here, there's no real reason for you to hurry back" she explained, leaning on her hand as she spoke. "And if anyone asks about Laz, we can just say that I asked her to stay for an unspecified reason" she added, her cheeks rising to note her masked smile.
"Is... is that allowed?" I asked confusedly.
"Yep, and with no bearing on your attendance to boot" she confirmed.

"So take the time to figure out how to separate yourself from the Mistress" Smiley instructed. "You can take the bed that faces the TV, see the one?" She asked, pointing behind me. I turned to see a CRT mounted onto the upper back right corner of the room, pivoted slightly to better face the furthest bed against the left wall. "I'll even give you the remote" Smiley added, the familiar clicking noise of a TV remote sounding out as she spoke. I turned back to her and accepted the remote with a smile.
"Thanks, but are you sure you don't want help cleaning up?" I asked, noting the pool of black blood that was still on the floor.
"I'll be alright, thank you. Since I don't know when we can go home, I'll do some analysis on your blood here for the time being" she explained. "And I'll need the whole puddle" she added with a chuckle.
"I can at least hel-"
"She's more than capable, (Y/N)" Zalga cut in sternly.
"I never claimed she wasn't! It's just-"
"If you're gonna squabble, can you at least do it at the other end of the room?" Smiley interjected, her brow now furrowed in irritation. "Otherwise, you might wake Sleeping Beauty behind you" she added, nodding towards Lazari.
"*sigh* Alright, alright" I conceded, shuffling off to the distant bed.