14. D I S T A N C E

Come to me whenever you get lonely
Just reach out your hand and there I'll be
~

"Ok, it's clear so you should leave while you can," Yeonjun said. Part of him wished he could ask Wooyoung to stay for dinner, but he knew that it would be an instant rejection.

"Yeah... I'll see you tomor-"

"Wooyoung...?"

Yeonjun's heart dropped when he heard the voice coming from the other end of the corridor. He couldn't bear to turn his head and face whoever it was that had caught them. Wooyoung looked at Yeonjun in absolute shock, neither knowing what to do.

"Yeosang... you should come and see this..." Kai said, not taking his eyes off the pair.

"What do we do?" Yeonjun whispered.

"If I leave now that's shitty of me, right?" Wooyoung asked.

"Maybe but I wouldn't blame you."

"What do you want Kai?" Yeosang said as he emerged next to his friend. "Oh my gosh!" Immediately, Yeosang ran forward to the pair, his eyes widened with surprise. 

"Yeo before you yell at me-" but Yeonjun was interrupted immediately.

"I thought we'd never see you again! Why did you disappear like that," Yeosang exclaimed, looking like he was about to cry at the sight of Wooyoung.

"You were hiding Wooyoung in your room?" Kai questioned. "You know how much we've been asking about him, how could you Yeonjun!"

Wooyoung sighed, knowing he couldn't just ignore them. However, he also didn't want to get too close to them again, so he aimed to keep his responses short and distant. "I was just helping Yeonjun study, but I have to go now. Enjoy your dinner."

"Why don't you join us?" Kai suggested.

Wooyoung shook his head. "My parents are probably waiting for me and its getting late."

"Ok well, let's hang out sometime-"

"It's getting late," Wooyoung interrupted repeating his words as he looked at Yeonjun for help.

"Y-yeah, it will take you a while to get home. You should get going," Yeonjun said as he opened the front door.

"The others want to go over the subjects they'll cover for you, so you should join us at lunch this time. I'll see you tomorrow."

Wooyoung quickly left before anyone could ask him anymore. As Yeonjun closed the door and turned around to face Yeosang and Kai, he was met with stern face.

"What..."

"What the hell just happened?" Yeosang asked. "Was that really Wooyoung?"

"Why is he so distant with us?" Kai asked sadly. "He didn't even stay to talk, and we haven't seen each other in two years!"

"When I told you he changed, neither of you believed me," Yeonjun reminded them.

"Yeah but... that makes sense with you. He was so mad at you, but I didn't think he would be like that with us," Yeosang said, the disappointment clear in his voice.

"Don't blame yourself guys, that's just Wooyoung being Wooyoung," Yeosang said.

"No that wasn't Wooyoung. Wooyoung is cheery and friendly. He barely had any emotion in his voice! How are they the same?"

"Look I found it hard to believe too, but I've come to accept it," Yeonjun replied. "I'll talk to him and convince him to talk to you guys, so don't worry. You just have to give him time."