Chapter 1

It's taken a moment to get to this point and all I can say is thanks for your patience! I hope I can come back to this very first chapter one day and laugh at how bad it was or just be happy that I had the guts to start this!!

What may be a short chapter to some, actually felt like an enormous effort to put my best work out for you ✨🫶🏼 I can't promise weekly updates but I'll stay connected on here to let ya know!

Note: While the story takes place in Portland it will reference actual locations and shops but also contain added/made up fictional parts. I am not from Portland so please forgive me for any inaccuracies 😭😂 I'll do my best!!

Enjoy!
.........

CHAPTER 1
EDEN

I wish my mom would have warned me just how relentless and winding your twenties could feel. Some days I fully believe that I'm capable of everything. Other days, it feels like the air is getting knocked out of me. It's poetic really.

The things we grow to love are the hardest things to hold onto. I wonder why that is?

I've found the dreams we set for ourselves start with an explosion of hope and desire but just as quickly as they form they can get stomped out by this ugly thing called reality.

Being an adult sucked.

The freedom we have is both intimidating and euphoric. And I guess there's good and bad with everything. Just like we need the dark to see the light. I think I always tried to focus on the light as much as I could. Remind myself that as scary as things were sometimes, it would pass and be nothing more than another small moment of my entire existence.

Scary things like the decisions we make everyday. It feels like I grew up hearing how important it was to succeed and know what you wanted to be when you got older. How can an eight year old know what they want to do when they grow up?

It may sound shocking but I actually remember perfectly the exact moment I realized what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. It was raining, it had been for days the spring of my junior year in high school. Bored out of my mind I did the only logical thing a girl can do on a rainy day.

Binge watch the Twilight saga.

And then Pride and Prejudice (2005) version.
And then Ella Enchanted.
Followed by Mama Mia.
Then we wrap up with a classic, The Secret Garden.

Just for good measure Pride and Prejudice (2005) once more.

Something about seeing Keira Knightly experience a profession of love in the middle of a rain storm solidified this feeling. It was pure magic. Like a composition of aesthetics, camera angles, subtle glances, and longing eyes. Just thinking of what it would be like to have one small hand in creating a movie like that had me smiling and kicking my feet.

So I applied to colleges big and small. Received countless rejections or offers I was forced to reject due to my lack of funds. My family was middle class but I never really thought of it as a bad thing. I had everything I needed.

I was happy.

But I still had to figure things out. It limited my options but I think it was fate for me to find myself staying local.

After securing my place at an in-state college, I studied Media Arts with a minor in broadcast journalism. During my junior year of college, I excelled in my sports communication courses so well that my professor was able to get me an internship with SportsNet for the summer. As a local it was easy for me to become the "yes" man there.