//////////////////////////////////

I woke to young, probably teenage, voices talking and laughing. Tilly stood on her haunches, looking ready to fight. Froggy hid behind her, terrified. 

"Hide." I hissed, pulling Tilly by the collar and scooping Froggy up under my arm. I slid behind some boxes just as the group of kids rounded the corner. All were about sixteen. My age when I had been dumped into Double Life. Their leader was the most curious looking. She looked human, with bright orange hair and emerald green eyes, but she had deer legs and what looked like sticks for antlers.

"Are you sure we should be here, Gem?" one asked timidly. The deer-person-thingy, Gem, nodded stubbornly.

"I come here all the time. Sometimes for days." she assured. No response.

"Yo, Gem! Did a wild animal or something get in? Is that why the lock was broken?" another asked, and my blood ran cold.

Of course. People still came here. Fresh-ish food and padlock.

How could I have been so stupid?

"Ummmm... I guess other people come here too still? Hello? Is anyone here?" Gem yelled. I cursed at the sheer idiocy of it. Red names could be anywhere. Did she want to get herself killed?

Oh, wait.

I'm a red name.

"I guess not. Huh. You guys can go explore; I need to check the food supplies." Gem said as I silently shimmed up a shadow-basked pillar. They listened, laughing and shoving each other the whole way. Idiots.

Once I was in a hidden, comfortable spot, I grinned slightly. Time to convince her this place was haunted. 

"Marrrrcccccooooo...." I whispered loudly, causing Gem to flinch.

"Not funny, Stress. Polo." Gem responded simply. 

"Did you say something, Gem?" a female, British voice came from behind the boxes. Gem paled slightly. I chuckled darkly. Clearly this place did have stories about it. The other girl, who wore blue jeans, a white tee, and pink hoodie who was probably Stress rounded the corner. 

"Did you hear that?" Gem asked softly, drawing a bowie knife from her hip Stress' eyes went wide.

"Why did you bring that?" Stress said a wee bit loudly. Gem shushed her.

"Whoever's doing that, it's not funny! Come on out!" she demanded. I laughed audibly, Stress hearing it this time.

"But it is kinda funny, honestly." I said. The pair slowly scanned the building, eyes passing right by me. Good.

"Stress, get everyone out for a minute. I have to deal with this clown." Gem sighed. Stress rushed to obey.

"That's not very nice, Gem." I faked hurt, laughing after.

"Who are you?" Gem demanded. I gotta give her points for that. I never would've talked to a 'ghost' like that at her age."

"Doesn't matter. But you shouldn't have sent your little friends away." I said, hopping at least a story down from my hiding place effortlessly. She noticed the movement too late.

I was suddenly behind her, axe pressed to her throat. 

"Don't try it." I said. Her eyes went down to the bloodstained axe.

"You wouldn't. You'd have a target on your back." she said stubbornly. I almost laughed at that.

"Girl, I've had a target on my back since before you were born." I hissed. She snorted.

"Yeah, ok. I'm gonna guess your human. About eighteen, correct? I'm about six thousand years old. The human equivalent to sixteen." she said cooly.

Huh. Interesting.

"Who exactly would come looking for you besides those friends of yours?" I said. 

"ImpulseSV."

"Who?"

She laughed at that.

"Seriously? Ok, here's a history lesson: He was the dwarf king. There. That jog your memory?" Gem spat sarcastically. 

"You're sure talking a lot of shit for someone with an axe against her throat." I chuckled.

"You talk a lot of shit for an outsider."

Oh, how I wanted to her right there and then. But something told me not to.

Spinning her around, I punched Gem in the jaw and knocked her out cold.