Chapter 2

Place: New Jersey

Time: that's irrelevant

Jerome's POV

I glance at the moving truck outside the house next door. They just got here about thirty minutes ago. They've moved the new guy's stuff into his house fairly quickly. Now I'm just waiting for the moving dudes to leave so I can head next door and try to be neighborly for once.

But I am not in a neighborly mood.

Eh, we'll see how it goes.

The truck pulls away and I unlock my door and head over to the new guy's house. He's right next door to me. I knock loudly on his front door.

A boy with dark brown hair and brown eyes answers the door. He scans over me, blinks a few times, scans me again. "Uh, hi?" I say cautiously, wondering if the new neighbor kid is a total psycho.

"You... You're... YOU'RE JEROMEASF!" he screams. Then he turns around and yells to the house, "MITCH! MITCH, WE LIVE NEXT DOOR TO THE JEROME ACETI!"

"Mitch" walks calmly to the door. "Connor, no opening up doors to random strangers," he scolds the boy.

Connor stares at him with wide eyes. "Mitch. This is Jerome Aceti. Jerome Aceti is not a random stranger, he's Jerome Aceti."

"Hi. I'm Jerome," I say nervously, even though the boy has announced it several times. There's an overly hyper fan living next door to me. I'M SCARED.

The boy jumps up and down happily. "YOU ARE AT OUR DOORSTEP. YOU TOUCHED OUR DOOR! YES!"

I raise an eyebrow. "You sound like an obsessed fangirl."

"Sometimes I wonder about his sexuality. I mean, honestly, Connor..," Mitch says, trailing off as he waits for a response.

"Hey! Don't be mean, Mitch!" Connor complains. "Or I'll tell Marley!"

Mitch shrugs. "Bye, Jerome. Gotta unpack."

He leaves, and I wave to his brother before doing the same. Well. Mitch isn't crazy, but he's the slightest bit rude...

Still. I could use a friend. I'm starting a new school soon, because my old one sucked for many reasons. I'm pretty sure Mitch and Connor are going to the same school as me, now... (Don't you dare ask how I know this.)

Yup. Unless I want to be the friendless new kid in the middle of the school year, I'ma have to befriend Mitch. Anyways, I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a friend on his first day.

"Hey, Connor!" I shout, turning back around and jogging back to their doorstep. "Which school are you going to?"

He lights up at the chance to talk to me again. Geez, dude, come on. You're my neighbor now. It is cute though, how eager he is to talk with me. I wonder if he or Mitch plays Minecraft...

"I'm going to AlterUniv Middle School, and Mitch is going to the highschool next door. Why?"

"Well, I was wondering if either of you would like help getting around to classes. I mean, I wouldn't be that much help, considering I'm going to be new, too, but still..."

"Oh, cool! I bet Mitch would love that!" He pauses. "Well, he'd better love that. Why wouldn't he? But he's weird, so he might not, for some strange reason. I would love it though. I wish I were old enough for high school."

I chuckle, ruffling his hair. "No you don't, it's no fun. Anyways, we can still hang out a little outside of school. Do you play Minecraft?"

His eyes widen. "O-Of course!"

"Wanna play sometime?" I ask, smiling. This is adorable, seriously. This kid is brilliant.

"YES! OH MY GOODNESS, YES!"

I laugh. "Cool!" Oh, right, almost forgot. I have to make a my-agefriend. "And Mitch could play, too, if he wanted."

"MITCH!" Connor screams. "MITCH, I JUST GOT YOU A DATE WITH A FAMOUS YOUTUBER!"

My eyes widen. "D-Date? I don't think you really know what a date is, kid-"

"Nah, I get it! The thing is, even if you don't think it's a date, it totally is. Definitely. Completely. Totally."

"U-Uh..."

"Connor!" Mitch shouts, bounding down the stairs. "What the heck are you doing?"

"Getting you a date!"

"I-I- I mean- What!?" Mitch splutters. "We just met him! And he's a dude!"

Please don't tell me Mitch is homophobic.

"So? I know for a fact that doesn't bother you, Mitch! Come on, it'll be fun!" Connor presses.

Mitch's eyes widen and his cheeks and ears turn red. "C-Connor-" he squeaks, watching me carefully, probably waiting for me to get all judgy.

"It's fine!" I laugh. "Sexual orientation doesn't matter to me." What an interesting first day he's having here.  "Anyways, would you wanna record a Minecraft video with me?"

"S-Sure," Mitch says, probably still flustered about the brother-telling-random-stranger-he-likes-boys thing.

"Awesome! Wanna come to my house after school tomorrow, then?"

"We'll be there!" Connor yells happily, waving to me and then dragging his brother inside the house. I snort and close their front door for them before walking back to my house.

This neighborhood just got a lot more interesting.