15 | Nothing Sorcery-Related

┌────── ⋆

┌────── ⋆. · · .⋆ ──────┐

Nothing Sorcery-Related

└────── ⋆. · · .⋆ ──────┘

Following her gruelling first lesson with Morgana, Nerissa staggered back to the physician's quarters to rest. She hesitated to open the door momentarily but knew that she had to go in otherwise she'd be stuck sleeping on the stone floor. After a deep breath, she slowly opened the door. Much to her surprise, the body from earlier didn't seem to be there. They must have found another location to house the corpse and for that Nerissa was grateful.

As Nerissa walked in, Merlin dropped a cloth over something on a table at Gaius's insistence. They both forced smiles on their faces as they looked at her. "How was your day, my dear?" Gaius asked.

Nerissa sighed before reaching up and twirling a lock of hair around her finger. "Better," she muttered as she cast her gaze toward the floor in shame.

What was she to say to him? She had spent practically her entire life at her mother's side caring for the sick and injured. She should have been able to handle seeing that dead man earlier. Images of his lifeless state flashed through her mind as she grasped for the nearest sturdy object - the wall. The images of the man from earlier then changed to those of Sir Ewan.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," Nerissa whispered as she held tightly onto the wall.

Gaius quickly rushed to his niece's aid. "My dear, you have nothing to be sorry for."

"But I do. I should have been able - I should be able to . . ."

"You should have to do nothing when it comes to healing and science within the walls of Camelot. That job falls to me." Gaius ensured Nerissa's gaze met his, not looking away until she agreed.

"But you need help," Nerissa pleaded. "I'm trained to do this."

"I have Merlin to help me."

"You're arguing my point for me. You need help!"