05 | Of Wildflowers and Tomatoes

┌────── ⋆

┌────── ⋆. · · .⋆ ──────┐

Of Wildflowers and Tomatoes

└────── ⋆. · · .⋆ ──────┘

Gaius kept Nerissa confined to her bed with her ankle propped up on the pillows. She had badly sprained it and Nerissa still blamed Prince Arthur as the root of her discomfort. If he hadn't been throwing knives at that poor boy, Merlin wouldn't have felt compelled to intervene, and then she wouldn't have had to intervene on Merlin's behalf. Thankfully, Prince Prat hadn't made any other appearances at Gaius's quarters.

Once again, her night was plagued with a voice calling out her name. She awoke once to see if it was Gaius, but he was asleep in the chair beside her with a book on his chest and his glasses at the end of his nose. The voice didn't sound like Gaius. But who else could it be?

The next morning, Gaius brought her a plate of eggs and brown bread for breakfast on a tray. She felt bad that he had to wait on her hand and foot like this, but he had been the one to confine her to her bed. She took a bite of eggs. They tasted better than yesterday's porridge, but not by much. But since she couldn't get up and cook anything, she ate them in silence.

"I've got an audience with the king this morning to discuss Merlin's situation," Gaius told Nerissa as he examined her swollen ankle.

She nodded her head and took another bite of her eggs. Gaius pressed down lightly on her ankle and she winced. He sighed and turned to look at his niece.

"In the day and a half I've known you, Nerissa, you've proven to be as headstrong as your mother in the days of our youth. That being so, I've asked Guinevere, the Lady Morgana's maid, to keep an eye on you and make sure you stay in bed while I'm gone."

Nerissa groaned. "You don't have to do that, Gaius. I'll stay put, I promise."

Gaius eyed Nerissa pointedly. "Gwen was intending on stopping by to see you anyway. Keeping an eye on you is a favour to me."