Support System

Chapter 19: Support system

The oil sizzled in the pan as the kitchen slowly filled with the enticing aroma of different dishes being prepared. Kitchen utensils clanked against one another and the steady sound of chopping echoed from the tiles as Akaashi prepared a set of vegetables.

None of them spoke but it didn't feel like the moment was lacking conversation. It was one of the qualities he greatly appreciated about Kenma's mom, she was comfortable to be around even in utter silence. Also, the fact that her son's cooking abilities did not at all reflect her own was reassuring. Otherwise, the premise to make dinner could have easily turned into another hospital trip for them.

A small smile spread on his face as he thought about the few times Kenma attempted cooking, it was... chaotic. But nothing was worse than when he and Koutaro formed an alliance in the kitchen. It happened once and only once — Tetsu and him made sure of that. For a still unknown reason, Bokuto decided the best way to express his appreciation for his mates was to bake them a cake and he convinced Kenma to help by bribing him with the challenge. He was unsure what he said to him exactly but it was odd. Usually, Kenma wasn't as easily provoked as Kuroo for example.

Long story short the fire department had to be called. What at the moment had almost sent him to an early death via heart attack, was now a more or less found memory. In the very least it was a warning sign the size of a city not to let them in the kitchen especially not together and without supervision. The smoke deriving from the kitchen windows and Kuroo carrying them outside while almost carving under their collective weight had haunted his nightmares for many nights after.

They had moved since then with the clear incentive to keep this kitchen in peak condition. And luckily Kenma had become more content over the years with being cared for and spoiled by his mates, keeping him effectively out of the kitchen except if he wanted a snack.

Over the noises accumulating to a certain harmony cooking brought to him, he almost missed the vibrations of his phone alerting him to a call. Quickly he put the knife aside, dried his hands on one of the towels, and reached for it.

Kuroo's face grinned back at him as the caller ID appeared on the screen. Subconsciously his smile widened.
  "It's Tetsu. I'll tell them to come home quickly for dinner."

  "Hm-hm"
Kozume-san nodded and gave him a thumbs-up while trying not to drop the piece of meat she was trying to taste test.

He swiftly walked into the hallway and accepted the call.
  "Hey Tetsu, I'm currently preparing dinner. But you won't believe-"

   "Keiji? Sorry to interrupt it's just..."
His voice sounded strained. Slowly Akaashi's smile faded and turned into a frown as he listened to him. He focused on their bond and very faintly, just at the edge of his consciousness, he could feel his exhaustion.

  "Tetsu, are you alright? I thought you took a day off of work today, what's going on? Where are you?"
He tried his best to remain calm, but whether it was the pregnancy hormones or the recent events — he couldn't quite tell — he didn't quite manage. All the energy the good news had brought and the cooking with Kenma's mother slowly seemed to drain from his body. With cautious steps, he walked toward the stairs to sit down, suppressing the urge to start pacing up and down the hall.

  "No... I mean yes just... We are at the hospital right now but it's not what you think. Kenma is..."
He could hear him gulp as he forced his brain to focus on nothing but Kuroo's words. No getting sidetracked or carried away by speculations, not before he knew what was going on.
  "The baby is fine, we are... fine, physically at least. He didn't drop. I- urgh"
He cursed under his breath trying to string the words together.