Home

Chapter 8: Home

~ BokuAkaKuro's PoV ~

1:50 a.m. ...
It was 1:50 a.m. yet none of them had found any sleep yet.

Sleep generally didn't come to them as easy as it used to ever since Kenma had left but today was even worse. For the past one and a half hours, the distress they sensed through their bond from Kenma intensified steadily. At first, it was just the usual tugging in the back of their minds increasing slightly, which was already unsettling enough — after ten minutes Akaashi had given up on sleep and snuck into the kitchen.

Mere five minutes later Kuroo joined him and two minutes after that Bokuto, who never slept well without someone to cuddle anyway, slumped on a chair beside Kuroo.

They had sat in silence drowsy and sleep-drunken but too worried to actually follow their bodies, commanding them to sleep. Hands found each other, fingers intertwined and soft kisses were exchanged as a sign of silent reassurance. It helped. Or at least it did at first.

After a while, the feeling in the back of their heads slowly increased and became more and more front and center. Koutaro's hands around his mug tightened as he fought the increasingly darker thoughts invading his mind.

For Kenma's distress to be this prominent even with miles between them it must be really serious. The only comparison he had wasn't a good one. Think back to that day only made his throat tighten.

Back then it wasn't him but Keiji who had called out to them in a desperate plea for help. He was on his way home from work, while the others waited for him with dinner when suddenly all three of them felt a rush of panic flooding their systems stopping them in the midst of whatever they were doing.

The sensation was too strong to be a simple echo of the emotion they shared through the bond, especially with such a distance between them, because it wasn't an echo it was a cry for help. Akaashi had cried out to his mates to help him and they followed. Of course they did.

What happened today wasn't nearly as strong or frightening as what he felt back then, however, he couldn't think of another explanation as to why they could feel Kenma so strongly. There wasn't the same urgency in the feeling but it still felt like he was reaching out to him.

"Kou." Kuroo placed a hand on his gently as always yet firm to ground him. "It's not like back then. This is different."

"Didn't know you could suddenly read my mind as well." The ace gave him a shaky and barely convincing smile.

"We are all thinking about the same thing. It's similar but not the same though." Akaashi said it matter of factly yet his hands were shaking slightly and he didn't dare to look at them, his mind undoubtedly taking him back to that day as well.

Bokuto stood up, squeezing Kuroo's hand reassuringly before letting go in favor of pulling Akaashi into his arms. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to remind you of that."

Akaashi reciprocated the gesture, nuzzling his nose against Bokuto's neck and breathing his scent in deeply. "It's okay. I thought of it myself. I understand why you did too." He bit his lip. It was similar... Too similar. He just wanted to know that Kenma was safe. He was supposed to be safe.

"Maybe he is having a panic attack." Kuroo chimed in, his nose scrunching at the thought. As much as he hated it especially since none of them were with him to be there for him, scent him, and make sure he was safe, it was still better than him being in "actual" physical danger.

Yet he knew that the explanation was weak. Kenma had countless panic attacks before and after they bonded. Some stronger, some weaker, and it hurt them every time to see him like that, but it never felt like this. They worked hard just like the blonde Omega himself to help him with his anxiety.  It had gotten so much better over the years until...