Solar Eclipse

Chapter 17: Solar Eclipse

  "Everyone gather around!"
Coach Foster's voice echoed through the gym. It sounded a lot more serious than usual and the team gathered immediately. They exchanged a few nervous glances looking at Meian for guidance. He motioned for them to stay calm and listen.

Maybe it was the stress of the past days but even Bokuto turned quiet. Not having the usually loud Alpha cheering them up with his unshakable optimism, send another wave of tension over the room. Despite scent blockers, the air was heavy with nervous pheromones. Sakusa tried keeping his distance and only begrudgingly moved closer following Atsumu.

  "I wish I could tell you there was no need to be nervous but the news I have for you aren't good."
He took a deep breath looking at each of them individually before continuing.
  "It's about Hinata Shoyo."

The words echoed in the hall, evidence of the silence that spread. Nobody dared utter a word, almost holding their breaths not to miss what was coming next. Their muscles tensed, and from the corner of his eye, Bokuto could see Atsumu holding on to Sakusa tightly.

  "As you, all know he has been absent from training for the past two weeks. I just got the clearance from his family to tell you why."

  "I thought he was sick."
Thomas sounded hopeful like he was clingy to the idea since being sick wasn't so bad, right? It meant he'd get better soon, didn't it?
He earned a few nods, people agreeing with him, the same hope in their eyes.

  "It's a little more serious than that I'm afraid. Hinata was involved in a car accident. A hit-and-run from what I have heard."
The reaction was immediate some fell silent as before the idea of the bubbly sunny spiker hurt close to unbearable. Others growled as they heard about the hit-and-run, wishing worse upon the driver. Bokuto felt... numb in a way. As though his brain refused to puzzle together the pieces and make the connection to what that meant.

A lump formed in his throat and slowly but surely he could feel the prickling feeling of tears building up in his eyes.
  "He'll be able to play with us soon again, right? Shoyo will come back onto the court with us."

It sent another wave of shock through the gym and the air soured with distress.
  "Of course, he will! Shoyo is strong!" Atsumu exclaimed suddenly.
  "He will come back just as I did."
The evidence of his words hung in the air around him, he hadn't lost the milky scent of pups completely.

  "Astu, being involved in an accident isn't the same as having pups."
Sakusa tried to sound soothing but the strain in his voice betrayed him. Exposing his worry for the ginger.

  "Why shouldn't it be?! I needed to go to the hospital and get surgery done and so did he. I got out of it and returned to the court, so why shouldn't he?!"

The dark-haired Alpha looked at him with a certain sadness in his eyes. As though he desperately wishes to believe Atsumu but couldn't quite.

  "The good news is that by his estimated injuries so far he should be able to recover and play again"
Their heads perked up.
  "However, the exact extent isn't known yet. That's the bad news, ever since the accident, he hasn't woken up. Keep that in mind in case you wish to visit him at the hospital."

They gulped, unsure what to make of this information but very much aware that it was bad.

  "That concludes practice today. Go home, rest, and don't do anything reckless."
They nodded in unison and went off to the locker rooms where Meian took the word.
  "Who wants to visit Shoyo in the hospital?"
As expected all hands shot up in the air, of course, they did.

  "Good, we shouldn't go all at once. He isn't awake yet and we don't want to overwhelm the staff and his family. I think it's best if we go in small groups."