Chapter Eleven: The Undercroft

The holidays are over, the school is once again flooded with bodies everywhere. The halls echo with multiple conversations happening at the same time. I haven't heard or seen from Ominis since that night everything happened with Anne. Sebastian and I surprisingly have hardly left each others side. I'm not exactly sure what we are at the moment. We are always with each other, but we have never clarified what we feel. I don't want to press him and make him feel like he has to tell me, but deep down, I really want to know. Do I know how I feel? I know that when I am with him, he makes me feel as if nothing else matters. Not my past, nor his. Not Ominis, nor Anne. He makes me feel as if I'm the only importance in his life. That makes me feel special. I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about how he makes me feel. Is this what love is? Does Sebastian get the same butterflies? The more I think about it, the more I need to know.

   I carry on with my daily studies, trying to not focus too much on Sebastian. I go to the room of requirement, hoping to have a quiet space to work on my herbology, but as I enter I hear quite the commotion coming from the other side. I go to investigate, finding Deek helping Garreth clean up after what looks like his most recent potion fail. At least it isn't in professor Sharps class. This leaves me with little to no option on where to study. The undercroft is the only place left for a quiet space.

   I gather my books and notes I need to study as I head to the undercroft. I open the door to the undercroft to find Ominis in here. He looks up from the floor, "Sebastian?" He says. I respond, "It's me, Ominis. I'm sorry if I disturbed you, I was just looking for a quiet place to study. I can come back later." Ominis let's out a sigh, "No- No that's alright. As long as you are quiet, you can stay over there." He points to the opposite side of the undercroft. "Right. Thank you." I mutter. I shuffle my way to the other side of the room, find a open spot on the floor and sprawl out my notes.

   Time goes by, it feels as if we've been in here for ages, not saying a word. Ominis must hear me rummaging through my papers and gets frustrated with the noise. He lets out another big sigh, "What is it you're trying to study for?" He questions. "I'm reading up on the uprising of Elfric the Eager. Professor Binns makes it nearly impossible to even stay away during class, let alone listen to a full lecture." Ominis closes his book and walks my direction, "say no more." He states, the continued, "maybe first believe Elfric was a wizard, but that is not true. He was a goblin who created a revolution between goblin kind and wizard kind." Ominis went on to explain much more to me about the topic in a way that was much easier to absorb than when professor Binns explains it. "Thank you, Ominis. I should do much better on my O.W.L.s, thanks to you." I say to Ominis.
He nods as he gathers himself off the floor. He dusts off his robe and starts to speak, "You're welcome, Athena." He starts to head for the door of the undercroft as I yell out to him, "Ominis!" He stops and turns around, "are you still upset with Sebastian and I?" I ask. He takes a moment to gather his thoughts. "I'm- I'm not sure. Of course I am glad I did not loose Anne for good, but I am still disappointed you two couldn't have left it alone. You didn't respect what Anne had wanted and just thought about yourselves." He spoke rather calmly, despite his internal feelings.
"I understand." I admitted to Ominis, "It probably wasn't the right thing to do, but it definitely felt right. I couldn't watch you nor Sebastian being torn apart watching her shrivel away."
Ominis' look grew more concerned. "I too, understand, but it still was not your place. Neither was it Sebastian's. Anne made it clear to all of us."
I lowered my head and whispered angrily, "I know. But I couldn't stand by and watch. I'm sorry." Ominis seems to have heard enough, he turns and walks away from me, leaving the undercroft.

   I sat in the undercroft longer than I probably should have. I think I may have missed some classes. I just had so many things going on in my head I couldn't focus on class. What should I do about Ominis? What do I do about Anne? About Sebastian? So many things and I haven't a clue where to start. Ominis is still very upset with me. I know Anne feels the same, I'm the last person she would want to hear from. I should start with Sebastian, he will know what to do. I hope.

I look down at the floor around me, papers scattered everywhere, I don't even know which notes are what anymore. I start piling them all together, shoving them into my bag. I stand up and dust myself off, wouldn't be a bad idea to use a cleaning charm in here every once in a while. As I exist the undercroft I'm surprised to see Sebastian down the hall walking right towards me.
"There you are! Ominis said you'd be here." He shouted.
"You spoke with Ominis?" I asked shockingly.
"Not entirely. It wasn't much of a conversation really, it was more of him telling me off and walking away before I had a chance to respond" Sebastian responded with an angry expression.
"What was it he was going on about?" Ominis telling off Sebastian? Was this something I caused from earlier when I talked with him?
"That's why I'm here, I looking for you. Come to the undercroft, I need to speak to you. Alone." Sebastian grabbed my hand and pulled me into the undercroft.