Penelope

The doctor had just finished examining her when Kate sat down beside her on the settee and handed her a cup of tea. "Here," said Kate. "Drink this, it will help you to feel better. It is tea from India. Much better than English tea I think."

"Thank you Kate," said Penelope, her voice wobbly. She had never fainted before and it had been quite frightening waking up at the Bridgerton home when the last thing that she remembered was promenading in the park with Eloise.

"You gave us quite a fright Penelope," said Kate softly.

"I am so sorry for worrying you. I am usually not prone to swooning or fainting, I assure you. I think that it may have just been the heat. It has been unseasonably warm this summer."

Kate shook her head and smiled. "You do not need to apologise Penelope. These things sometimes happen. Although, your stays were incredibly tight. You should be able to breathe. The doctor said that you could have suffocated yourself had we not loosened them."

Penelope looked over to where Violet was now speaking with the doctor. "I suppose that I am so used to having to wear my corsets like that. Mother always orders Anna, my maid, to lace them as tightly as possible."

Penelope watched as Kate nodded sympathetically. "Sometimes," whispered Kate. "Our mothers think that they know what is best for us but between you and I Penelope," she said as she leaned in conspiratorially, "they are often wrong."

Penelope smiled. Lord knows her mother was wrong about a great deal of things. "Kate, can you tell me what happened after I fainted? I know Lady Bridgerton briefly explained when I first awoke but I am afraid with all the chaos I have forgotten the details."

Kate, who had just taken a sip of tea, put her teacup and saucer down on the table set in front of the settee.

"Oh yes. Eloise caught you as you fainted so that you did not hit your head. There was a gentleman in the park and Eloise managed to capture his attention. It turned out that it was Mr. Stirling. He carried you to the carriages. Lord Fife, who also happened to be in the park, offered his carriage to bring you here to Bridgerton House as it was closest. Once you were here that is when Violet and myself as well as Eloise were able to wake you. We had to resort to using Violet's smelling salts."

"Oh how humiliating," said Penelope as she set down her teacup and covered her face with her hands.. "I suppose nearly all of the ton knows that I fainted by now." Penelope questioned as she looked at Kate who she could tell was trying to hide a grimace.

"I will be honest with you Penelope," said Kate as she applied a cool cloth to Penelope's brow. "I believe it was quite the scene." Penelope's distress must have shown on her face for Kate added, "But there is nothing to feel embarrassed about. As I said before, these things happen. I am just glad that Mr. Stirling and Lord Fife were nearby to assist you. I do not even want to imagine what would have happened if Eloise had not happened upon Mr. Stirling."

Penelope nodded and took another sip of her tea. "Is Eloise still here?"

Kate nodded. "Yes, she is out in the foyer with Francesca and Mr. Stirling. Benedict went to retrieve Sophie from the park."

Penelope's eyes widened. "Oh poor Sophie will blame herself. She questioned me when I told her to lace me up tighter but I insisted. Please tell me that she is not in danger of losing her position as Eloise's ladies maid?"

Kate shook her head. "Of course not Penelope. Sophie will have a position in the Bridgerton household for as long as she likes. It is certainly difficult to find good help nowadays and especially difficult to find someone to put up with Eloise's shenanigans, as you well know."