"What's so funny?"

"You," he shook his head, "the very efficient Miss Treble has her own weakness. She's not prepared for an emergency like this. How come you don't have a flashlight with you?"

"Who needs a flashlight nowadays, when we can use our phones?"

"Phone?" he groaned. "You shouldn't rely on your phone for things like this. Look where it got you. I'm glad I came with you, or you're all alone stranded in the middle of a dark and secluded road."

"Thanks." I twisted my lips, gritting my teeth. He was right, though, but he was grumpy and acting like a father, scolding a child for being irresponsible.

"I wonder what you'd do if you were alone," he clicked his tongue.

"Stay in the car and wait for morning," I shrugged my shoulders, and he laughed. "What would you do if you were? Seems like you always have things figured out."

Before he could answer, a fat rain landed on my cheek. My instinct told me to run to the car for shelter, but then he instructed me.

"Come on, get your important things from the car and lock it."

"Why? Where are we going?"

"I saw a cottage a few meters away. We can go there for shelter and ask for help."

"Really? Are you sure?" I was hesitant, because I didn't notice a cottage. I still thought it would be better to stay in the car.

"Trust me and do as I say," he said, looking at the sky as it became darker and the drops of rain were increasing.

"Okay." I took my handbag from the pickup, then locked the door.

He held my hand, and we both ran. I didn't know where he saw the cottage, but my instinct told me to trust him.

The rain poured heavily, soaking us, but I still did not see any cottage.

"I'm so tired and cold. Can we just go back and stay in the pickup?"

"We're almost there," without hesitation, he carried me on his back. We were so soaked from the rain, there was no need to run.

I clung onto him - my eyes closed, my chin on his shoulder, and my arms around his neck. Immediately, I felt safe. Nothing would go wrong as long as I was with him. At that moment, I learned to trust him.

When I opened my eyes, I looked ahead and saw a cottage. Relief overwhelmed me. All I could think about was a cup of hot chocolate.

An older woman, probably in her late seventies, opened the door for us. She was not very accommodating. Her eyes were very suspicious, thinking about what we were doing in her cottage.

"Good evening, mam," Sebastian greeted the old woman politely, "our car broke down. Can we use your phone?"

Her eyebrows furrowed. "no-no, I don't have a phone," she attempted to close the door, but Sebastian insisted.

"Please, mam, can we at least take shelter for the night?

"I said NO. Go away!" the woman got angry.

"My fiancée here is cold and shivering. I don't want to get her sick when our wedding is coming soon."

Fiancée?

I did not protest his made-up story. We have to solidify our relationship to get sympathy from the old woman.

She looked at me closely. I did not have to pretend, because I was freezing and shivering. I knew I was as pale as a ghost.

"You're lying! She doesn't have a ring."

"I-I had it resized," I answered for Sebastian, and the woman nodded.

Now I'm also adding to his lie.

"Okay, come in." She opened the door for us and I felt the warmth and comfort of her home. "Who are you people?"

"I'm Sebastian Stavrakos, mam, and this is my fiancée, Sweet Treble," he put me down on the floor.

"Are you connected with the famous billionaire, Kristov Stavrakos?"

"Actually, he's my grandfather. Together with my father, we're running the family business now."

"Oh, really!" the old woman put her hands on her mouth with disbelief, "my God, what a small world. I used to work for your grandfather in his mansion as one of his maids. I also witnessed your grandparents' love story."

"What a small world, indeed. May I know your name, mam?"

"I'm Tess Trevor. I'm a good friend of your grandma Pia," she shook our hands, her face turned up in a wide smile. She continued talking non-stop, and I was there, shivering on my feet.

"Can we borrow some clothes? Sweet here is freezing," his arms went around me.

"Sure! Come, come," she showed us a small room with a single bed, small table and stool. "This used to be my daughter's room. She's married now and moved to Atlanta. She has three daughters.... Blah... blah... blah," she talked nonstop.

"Do you live here alone?" I asked when we entered the room. It became smaller when Sebastian entered.

I wondered how we could sleep with a single bed and cold tiled floor. But I dismissed the problem. First, we have to get rid of our wet clothes.

"I live with my husband. He's out for the night to celebrate his brother's birthday. He'll be home tomorrow." She left briefly and returned with some clothes - a thin nightdress and a pair of gray pajamas for Sebastian.

"Thank you, this means a lot to us," I said, and she offered us dinner, "um, I'm full already. We ate some croissants and coffee."

"Me too. Please don't bother with food, we're good," he answered, obviously couldn't wait to take his clothes too.

"Well, just call me if you need anything. My bedroom is just across. The bathroom is over there," she pointed at the far end.

The moment the door closed, I was ready to get off my clothes. I could not wait any longer. The cold was killing me.

"I'm going to use the pajamas," I said, taking the long-sleeved pajama top.

"You can't make me wear that nightdress," he grabbed the pajama bottom abruptly.

"Okay, fine," the pajama top was big anyway, the hem touched above my knees, "I'm going to change. Can you turn away from me?"

"You too, and don't peek at me," he chuckled.

"Excuse me!" I turned away from him and removed my wet clothes. My bra and underwear were wet, so I had no choice but to remove them, too.

My goodness. Never in my dreams would I sleep without underwear and in the same room with a man.

"So which side of the bed are you taking?" Sebastian asked, and I turned to him. He was shirtless and wearing the gray pajama pants that fitted him perfectly.

My eyes grew enormous as I stared at him. First, admiring his wonderful physique and second, shocked at the thought of sharing a small bed with him.