Maria blinked away the image of her husband at that age (and a few tears) as she placed her hands on her shoulders. "Hey..." Her voice dropped to a whisper.

Mirabel looked up. "You don't have to come to the ceremony if you don't want to. I know tonight's hard for you."

Maria never mentioned it as it approached but tonight was kind of hard for her. Last gift ceremony her husband vanished, leaving her feeling numb and alone in this world.

But Maria just shook her head. "Tonight will be hard for you too. Are you coming?"

"Of course I am, Antonio needs me!" Mirabel seemed shocked that Maria would even mention that.

Maria smiled. "And Antonio and Mirabel need me. So of course I'm coming."

Mirabel blushed a bit. "I don..." Then she sighed. "I would feel better if you were there."

Mirabel had told her it was nice to have someone around that kind of got it. Maria wasn't shunned because she had no gift, but she was shunned because of who she loved and circumstances that were out of her control. It was the closest to understanding that someone would get.

At least, that Maria and Mirabel both hoped someone would get.

"Do you want help getting ready?" Mirabel asked, in an attempt to sound cheerful.

"no, I got this. I've got a very lovely dress to wear..."

Mirabel blushed. "I'm glad you like it so much."

"Go decorate the house. It needs your creative eye." The shelf raised and Mirabel and Maria laughed.

Mirabel turned to leave.

"Mira..." Maria hesitated.

Mirabel turned around. "You could stay in the guestroom with me after the ceremony, you're too old for any of the stuff in the nursery."

"Abuela won't allow it."

Maria sincerely hoped that didn't mean Mirabel had heard her argue with Abuela about that very topic over the years.

"Still..." She kissed Mirabel's forehead and the girl was off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cracks were coming.

Bruno had gotten pretty adept at patching the cracks before anyone saw them. What he couldn't repair in time, Casita did.

But he had a feeling that wouldn't be the case tonight.

It was a gift ceremony.

The magic was in use the most at a gift ceremony.

Bruno did not want anyone to see the cracks.

But he also kind of did.

It had been ten years behind the walls, listening to his wife cry for him, and be forced to rely on Mirabel and then later Antonio, who were just children and couldn't do much. Couldn't understand just what Maria's bad days meant.

It had been ten years behind the walls, having a vision that his hermana would be pregnant but be unable to tell her, hearing her name his newest sobrino Antonio Javier Madrigal. (Javier being his middle name so maybe that meant Pepa missed him too?)

It had been ten years behind the walls, hearing people mistreat Mirabel who was still as sunny as ever which always surprised him. Kudos to her for being able to be happy and sweet even when the townsfolk mistreated her, Isabela and Mama were mean to her, and everyone other than her parents, Maria and Antonio ignored her.

He wanted it to end.

But he didn't want people to find out about the vision.

If they could see the cracks and fix the cracks, maybe then he could come out?

Because there would be no need for his vision, it didn't matter if he didn't show it to anyone.

He could still be a part of the family, protect his sobrina, and get to hug and kiss his wife, never letting her go.

Except he wasn't sure if his wife would kill him when she saw him, or kiss him as well.

He's jolted out of his thoughts by hearing the ceremony work and Mama call for a picture.

Normal stuff.

Except he also heard Maria.

"Mirabel..."

"I...I just need a minute."

Footsteps echoed and Bruno followed them, he wanted to hear what it was.

Cracks were starting to form and he heard Mirabel singing as he tried to patch them up.

Forget what he said about hoping that someone would actually see the cracks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maria hadn't seen the cracks. She knew what just need a minute meant. She was going to wait in Antonio's room for a couple minutes and then go check on her.

But Mirabel had run in, telling them all about the cracks.

Abuela dismissed her and when Isabela went back to the party, Maria heard her talking to Dolores. "Of course she'd make it up for attention."

"She could have just hallucinated it because today was hard." Was Dolores' contribution.

Maria knew both of those things were false.

Mirabel's not a liar. She's even bad at keeping secrets, like what she had made people for their birthdays.

She ignored Abuela as she pushed past her, gathering her skirts and stalking to the kitchen, where she had seen Mirabel disappear.

"Mira, my brother Bruno lost his way in this family. I don't want the same for you. Get some sleep, you'll feel better tomorrow."

Maria's fist clenched. The first time her husband is mentioned by name in ten years and it's to discount what Mirabel actually saw.

Maria hid a bit, until she heard Mirabel's footsteps fade away and she ducked into the kitchen.

"Oh! Maria..." Julieta seemed surprised and a bit guilty, probably for using Bruno as a bad example.

Maria crossed her arms.

"Your daughter's never been a liar before. Why would she start now?" Maria spat out, before turning to find Mirabel, to talk to her.

"Maria..."

Maria ignored her sister-in-law's soft call.

"Oh Mira...." She said.

Mirabel was on her bed, staring intently at the floor.

"I didn't imagine it Tia! I swear I would never..."

"I believe you." Maria said, cupping her face and rubbing a stray tear away.

"So what do we do?"

"I don't know...I do think we both need to sleep on it before we do."

Mirabel seemed annoyed at the suggestion of sleep from another person, but nodded.

"Goodnight Mira..."

"Goodnight Tia..." Before Maria got to the door, a hand shot out and grabbed her sleeve.

Maria made a noise of inquiry as she turned. "Gracias for believing me."

"You're not a liar. Anyone who's talked to you for more than five minutes knows that."

Maria smiled as she left, but it faded once the door was shut.

She leaned against the way, sighing, suddenly exhausted.

"Ay Bruno...I need you now more than ever."