Us Against The World

Bruno wasn't sleeping well.

He was in his vision cave, and he knew Maria was down in his normal hammock. They had had an argument over who got the actual bed in the room when she stayed over and this time he had won.

He knew Felix teased him about this, but both he and Maria wanted to save...that part of a relationship for when they were married or at the very least confident they were with who they were going to marry. Which he was, and he was intending to ask. But right after she had a fight with her parents was definitely not the time to.

His point was he laid on the makeshift mattress, sleep seemingly unable to grab him. And he knew why. He was worried.

One of his rats, Manuel, ran past him and down the stairs. Bruno hesitated for all of two seconds before he followed him.

He's heartbroken but not entirely surprised by what he sees.

Maria was laying on the hammock, surrounded by the rats, who squeaked in concern. She's restless, one hand flexing as if trying to grab onto something, but what he had no way of knowing. Tears had dried on her face.

Bruno observed that scene for a few more seconds before Manuel squeaked angrily at him.

Bruno's gift wasn't understanding animals but he was sure that if he could, Manuel would be telling him to do something.

He had no idea what to do, but he neared her, carefully grabbing her hand.

She seemed to calm down a bit, and he placed a light kiss to the back of her hand. "I'm sorry..."

He knew that there was a huge chance that he was the reason she had THE FIGHT with her parents. Maybe he never should have befriended her, when they were fourteen. He definitely shouldn't have fallen in love with her, it would be better for her, she'd still be...

Maria's eyes opened and he meeped, blushing. Even if they were dating, and had been for four years, it was awkward to be standing over her when she was asleep.

Maria's eyes were bright.

His heart pinched. "Um..."

"I know you're usually the one with clingy moments..." Maria began. "But I think I need to be able to cling to you...."

Bruno didn't need any other instructions. He had climbed up in the hammock carefully, feeling her curl up against him.

Dios, even if it would be better for her if they never fell in love, he couldn't ignore how much he needed her. How much he loved her.

The two fell asleep in the hammock, clinging tightly to each other.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's early when Maria woke up. She smiled at Bruno's still sleeping form. He pulled her closer as if sensing in his sleep that she was awake.

She needed him. He provided her more love, comfort and warmth in the eight years she's been his friend then his novia, than her parents had provided in 22 years.

Casita opened the door again and Maria could hear thunder.

Pepa was probably still worried. She knew Bruno was.

Maria hadn't told anyone what had happened.

She didn't want to think about what had happened, but she knew she'd have to tell them. Especially Bruno, they didn't keep secrets. But she'd have to be careful, Bruno had a tendency to blame himself even without the full story, she knew that her wonderful novio was most likely blaming himself already.