Gift Ceremony

Bruno is thirty-four and it was not their turn next.

In fact, Julieta had another kid, a healthy baby girl named Luisa.

Bruno's sure the only reason his Mama hadn't given them a hard time again is because it was nearing Isabela's gift ceremony.

Then it would be Dolores'.

Then he was sure she'd get on them again.

But that wasn't the topic of thinking today, it was Isabela's gift ceremony.

"Ah Bruno..." Julieta said, holding tight to a messy from lunch Luisa. "Will you please send Isabela to my room? It's about time to get her ready..."

"I will hermana." he declared, waving at Luisa, who giggled and hugged Julieta tighter.

Bruno walked towards the nursery, smiling at what he heard.

"It's almost time to get ready for your ceremony Isa..." Maria.

He peeked in the ajar door, and saw his wife sitting on the bed, with a lump of covers on the other side. Dolores was with her Mama and Papa, so didn't take a genius to know who that was.

"Everyone will be looking at me Tia..." Isabela whined.

"Do you want magic?" Maria asked gently.

"Si." Isabela pulled the blanket down. "But I don't want people to look at me..."

"Well...when you walk to your door, just focus on your mama and papa and Abuela...stay long enough to get your picture with your Abuela, and then you can do what your Tio Bruno does."

"What does Tio Bruno do?" Isabela asked.

"Hides in the room." Bruno answered for his wife. "I'm sure Casita will give you a big one and you can find a good hiding place."

Isabela blushed a bit before sighing. "Okay...I'm ready...I don't have to stay the whole time?" She looked at Maria.

"That's my girl. Once you get your gift and everyone saw you there, then you can hide." Maria soothed.

Isabela hugged her. "How come you don't have kids yet?" She asked in five year old innocence.

"Um...because it just hasn't happened yet." Maria tried to smile.

"It should, you'd be a good Mama."

Bruno agreed but he decided a change of subject was needed. "Time to head to your Mama and Papa's room, they want to help you get ready."

Isa was gone. Maria sighed as she stood up.

"You okay mi amor?" Bruno said.

"Si..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ceremony went off without a hitch. Isabela had looked scared until it became time to walk to her door, then she schooled her expression into a smile.

It didn't surprise Maria that Isabela had the gift to grow plants. She was always playing garden.

She lost sight of the girl about fifteen minutes after the room was revealed.

It didn't worry her, she figured she was hiding like she said she would. Isabela was painfully shy.

Maria danced with her husband for a while, but then he pulled her aside and whispered, asking if he could leave.