A Mother's Pain pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"Oh-!" Cassandra sent a nervous smile to Miranda. "Uh, and a great-grandchild for Mother Miranda."

"...That should not be possible-," Miranda started before an eerily familiar laugh filled the air.

"My son," My head snapped toward the voice and time seemed to slow down.

'Those eyes — that smile and those freckles... Their dimples too,' When their eyes landed on me, confusion danced in their hazel eyes.

"...Who's this?"

My heart shattered before I took a deep breath. "I'm [Y/N], Miranda and Mia's significant other."

"Oh, right, I remember seeing a picture of you when I picked up Eva."

'If I had been faster, I would've seen them sooner,' My fingers twitched before I shoved my hands into my pockets. "Well, thank you for making sure our daughter got here safely! We'd hate to lose a child again..."

"Yeah, I bet... Hunter, could I borrow you for a moment? Sorana-."

"Yeah, yeah, I'll pour them some hot cocoa," A woman called from the kitchen as Isa and Hunter left.

POV: Hunter

"What's up?" I inquired once we were far enough from everyone, noticing the internal conflict they were dealing with. "You think you know them?"

"I... No, I don't — I know I don't — but I..."

"Want to know their story without looking into their soul or making them extremely uncomfortable?"

"...Yeah," Isa breathed, but it was clear to me that they were hiding something.

'I know I never press — especially since they're technically my boss — but I feel like I should this time...'

As if sensing my incoming question, Isa turned on their heel and began walking back to the others. "If we take too long, they'll think something's wrong."

'Something is wrong... What are you hiding?'

POV: First-Person

Once the triplets were settled around me on the couch, they began telling me stories about the demigods that work for them. Apparently; Isa and Hunter arrived a month after my last visit — and their first few months weren't the greatest. What caught my attention, however, was the fact that Isa had apparently been 'reborn' twenty-three years ago — around the time the goddess appeared again.

'Don't get your hopes up,' I told myself as Bela continued the story. 'They would still remember me, right? Even if it's deep down — surely seeing and hearing me would help them remember...' I smiled and nodded along to Bela's words until Isa and Hunter returned, causing the oldest vampire to stop speaking.

"How about I let Isa tell you about their childhood? They have some pretty funny stories!"

"Oh, uh," The demigod froze — panic in their eyes as they looked between me and their girlfriends. "...Sure haha! Let me uhm... Not used to being put on the spot like this..."

"You were a general-," Cassandra started, making my eyes widen.

"Yeah, I know! What's your point?!"

"Don't yell at me."

"...Sorry, lovebug, I'm just... Not myself today."