Chapter 27: Boxed

Start from the beginning

She scoffed at me. "I got an invitation, silly." And then it was almost dropping my check down the Brooklyn Bridge all over again. I was afloat as my pace of breath went back to normal. Then I thought back to it. "What invitation?"

"They're having two weddings."

"Good for them, really." She hummed.

"Where?" I grimaced cause I just couldn't with this.

"Plus ones are allowed, they said." She kept adding detail by detail but for Christ's sake, bring me into the loop.

"Who?" I groaned strong enough that I got that look from her. Like she didn't get it. So I must've been some douche to her. That's why she looked to the side and back to me. "Who else? Hina-san and Tobe-san."

"Huh," I raised my brow. "Really?"

"Nnn." She nodded. It seemed she let it go. Made me glad.

Now then, back to this. "When?"

"Six weeks from now, I guess" She hummed in a sly tune. "I forgot to tell, teehee~" See?

Wedding who? Because of course, it was something that would've been an afterthought even if I'd known beforehand. That's what I felt.

"Well, you coming?" She broke the silence and my train of thought.

"Me?" Yeah, me?

"Yeah, well..." She reached for an envelope on the table and "here." handed it to me. Looked legit. Then I read it. Was legit.

"You should come." She had that self-agreeing look. "I mean, why not, Onii-chan?"

And so, the touches of sarcasm brewed a bit in me.

"But, then again..." She down-casted, contemplating it seemed, followed by a sigh. Ah, I didn't wanna do it anymore. Routine stated we were supposed to crack up in cahoots by now. But we weren't.

I made my way to the door. That on-second thought wry, with the lip-pursing and all. I couldn't stop myself from cracking a smile.

I sighed. "They better have good booze." I couldn't stop myself from cracking a smile while climbing up the stairs

.

.

.

I didn't turn my lights on. Didn't need to. And I owed it to the moon's fluorescence. So, I sat on my bed and let out one helluva grunt. I sniffed hard at my jacket. Fuck me.

Great, added that to the pile too.

I wouldn't lie if I said some of them were racking me up more than others. Like with Isshiki, I could've asked her for more, but I felt that was too much already. You weren't supposed to grill her, you asshole. Even if it wasn't, that's what it felt like.

But, hold on. Let's say I went through with it. What if she called them right now and spilled everything? Nothing's stopping her. And who the fuck was I to nose in anyway?

I gripped my thigh.

If I made the move, maybe it would've ended in me walking back in here, bricks for feet, sinking in my bed, and taking it all back in my head. But I didn't do that.