Chapter 91

Beyond the second gate, Rong Xia saw a servant showing two women out. The women were dressed as married women, they didnt look like servants, but not like wealthy ladies either.

* The second gate / flower-hung gate 垂花门 separates outer and inner courtyards.

Master Duke, greetings. The two female story-tellers performed a salute, then as they saw there was one more person behind Ban Huai, they bowed once again and retreated with their heads lowered.

They are the story-tellers of the residence. Ban Huai smiled, We have them here for entertainment.

Remembering Ban Huas fondness of listening to stories, and her habit of dissecting the plots, Rong Xia smiled, Very good.

He had heard that Ban family kept resident story-tellers, but only after seeing them in person that he realised how dedicated Ban family was on the pursuit of life comforts, enough to make people jealous.

Father, Master Rong. Ban Heng came out, relieved to see his father was well. Father was summoned early in the morning, and without any news out of the Palace, it was difficult to listen to stories.

Outdoor in the garden, a table was set up with tea and snack on it, Yin-shi and Ban Hua were sitting there. Rong Xia went forward to salute Yin-shi and present the gifts he bought on the way.

Our family doesnt care about these things, Yin-shi smiled as she waved Rong Xia to sit down, Next time no need to bring anything.

Its nothing expensive, Rong Xia replied lightly, the corner of his eyes kept darting to Ban Huas direction, Wanbei found them interesting, so hopefully everyone will like it.

* wanbei 晚辈 = This Younger Generation (referring to self)

Ban Heng sniffed. Did that everyone include anyone else apart from Ban Hua? Small trinkets were clearly for young ladies like Ban Hua. A big man like himself had no interest in these things.

Yin-shi could see it too, she smiled and told Rong Xia to sit down, Thanking Nephew for the reminder today.

Rong Xia shook his head, Aunt saying this as if wanbei was an outsider.

Ban Hengs head was bent as he played with a teacup lid. He talks as if he was already an insider.

Furen, isnt it time for lunch? Ban Huai rubbed his stomach, This morning was too early, I didnt even have tea.

Its ready. Yin-shi was amused by his ability to constantly ruin his own image, she ordered the maids to help them wash up.

T/N – Ban Huai was supposed to be that stern and imposing father-in-law!

Master Rong, the sun is good today, how about taking lunch in the garden? Yin-shi asked as she wiped her hands.

The garden is very beautiful, a meal here must be refreshing. Rong Xia hurriedly nodded, Please Aunt just arrange.

En. Yin-shi nodded.

The dishes were soon served, there were lighter ones and spicy ones, sweet ones and salty ones, a wide variety of flavours and aroma. Rong Xia found Ban family was small but the range of their tastes was wide. The previous time he ate here, the Bans were still reserved, but today they obviously did not intend to curb themselves when it came to food.

They did not asked the servants to attend to them during the meal, they ignored the rule of not speaking while eating, and they gossipped about the neighbours.

They held themselves back last time, but the true colour was revealed today.

By listening to them, now he knew which mother-in-law from one block away loved tormenting her daughter-in-law, which child of which family was not filial. From the sensational tone of the chat, listening to gossips was clearly the familys pastime activity.