Chapter 84

In less than a day the attempted assassination on Ban Huai had spread all over the Capital. Compared to the fairly non-existent Zhao Jia, Ban Huai the top idler was of much higher status. That he was of no real power did not matter, him being almost killed was enough to cause panic among the nobles.

Practically noone was not afraid of death, especially the nobles living extravagant life.

Nobles better acquainted with Ban family came bearing gifts. To the dispirited looking Ban Huai recuperating on the bed, they dutifully said some words of encouragement, mostly about how he should take care of his health, about how fortune would come after a disaster and so on.

After running out of things to say, some began praising Ban Huai for his good son-in-law who ran around working hard for him, who had even drawn the criminals picture. Now everyone knew that it was false to say that Count Chengan was not good at human portraits, he just did not like it. He had made a concession for the sake of helping his father-in-law find the criminal.

A gentleman with principle was admirable, and a junior forsaking his principle for the benefit of his senior was equally touching. People used to secretly mocked Ban Huai that his son-in-law must be looking down on his family, but now they saw that not only there was no disrespect, but he had even taken Ban family affairs as his own even though the family miss was not married to him yet.

Now everyone was envious to Ban Huai, what dumb luck he had, having a perfect son-in-law who treated the girls parents with so much respect and care?

No wonder someone tried to kill him. Maybe the killer could not contain his jealousy of Ban Huais good luck.

The Emperor issued two decrees, one to Dalisi to conduct the investigation as thoroughly and quickly as possible, and one to the Ministry of Justice to cooperate with Dalisi. The Capital was shaken to hear this hefty gesture, once again everyone witnessed the importance of Ban family in the eye of the sovereign.

Rong Xias drawing resembled the criminal very closely that despite the ordinary appearance, someone was able to come up with the criminals identity to claim the 50 liangs silver reward.

This man turned out to be a former steward of Hui-wangs residence. After Hui-wang couple died in the fire and the Shizi and Junzhu were taken to live in the Palace, Hui-wang people had scattered away. This stewards household registration had long been cancelled, the reason of the cancellation was death in fire.

A person who was supposed to have died in a fire tried to kill Duke Jingting, it was difficult to believe that there was no hidden agenda behind it.

Poor Jiang Yuchen and Jiang Kangning, their life in the Palace had gradually become harder after this incident.

According to the rumour circulating in the Capital, Hui-wang was the mastermind of the Grand Princess assassination, the Emperor did not bring this up because Hui-wang had perished in fire. For that reason, in spite of the suspicion, noone dared to talk about it openly.

But for what reason that a former servant of Hui-wangs tried to kill Duke Jingting?

Should only be one reason. Hui-wangs servant must have hated the Grand Princess for ruining their plan to kill the Emperor, but since the Grand Princess was already dead so he could only direct the revenge to her son, Duke Jingting.

Many people began to sympathise with Ban family. Their biggest backing died saving the Emperor and now a hidden mastermind was targeting them, what bad luck.

T/N – Was Ban Huai lucky or unlucky? People of the Capital, make up your mind!

The next day, yamen runners found the corpse of this former steward in a deserted old temple. After examination, he should have been dead for over 10 shichens.