Chapter Nine - Settling In

Start from the beginning

It was also helpful that the guy was an interesting piece of eye candy. He was cute, not the boy next door type, his shoulders were too broad for that, and he had a square jaw. Even though he wore what had to be an upscale black suit, the way he stood, and the size of his arms and waist, gave her the impression that he was totally ripped underneath his clothes.

He held the door to the limo open for her, and he reached for the leather case in her hands, probably thinking it was another piece of luggage since she already had her purse, but she leaned away.

"Oh, sorry, this is important. I want to keep it with me."

She expected a lifted brow for that one at the very least. He didn't do any such thing. He just smiled and nodded. "Of course," he said. "What your feet."

He shut the door, and through the tinted window, she watched as he grabbed her luggage and brought it to the trunk.

She could hear him placing her luggage inside. He wasn't being rough with it. Maybe she shouldn't have panicked and just handed over the case.

No. Not worth the risk. Isla was a little on the OCD side when it came to her kits. She couldn't help herself. Everything had to be in a nice and neat order, or else she couldn't find the beads or crystals she wanted, and it was all a mess. When travelling, her jewellery case always stayed with her so she could hold onto it, making sure it wasn't being tossed around.

Getting tossed around meant it was in danger of breaking open, no matter how good the snap. There were so many tiny parts in this case that Isla developed a small sweat just thinking about them all spilling out.

She really hoped the driver wouldn't tell Arturo about this, about how the weirdo in the back of his vehicle refused to part ways with her precious case.

The drive came back and took his seat up front. He looked at her through the window, a friendly smile on his face. "All right, are you ready to go?"

Isla looked back up at her building. Was Jane staring down at her?

"Ready as I'll ever be," she said.

"Great." Sam put the limo in gear, and they were off.

He wasn't exactly chatter after that, and Isla couldn't tell if it was because he'd been trained not to be, or if it was because he knew what she was going to his boss's house to do.

About ten minutes into the ride, he did speak. "There's refreshments in the mini fridge if you would like."

"Oh." Isla said, stunned as she looked around. She'd been so focused on how quiet this trip was, and where she was going, not letting anyone touch her things, that she'd completely failed to look around.

It wasn't her first time in a limo. Certain family events like weddings, her prom, and even some business meetings she'd been allowed to attend for training meant she'd seen her fair share of the inside of limos. The leather seats had been nice, but not shocking or new, and neither had the space inside been anything of a surprise.