XXXII. The Motives of a Desai

"How're you doing, Mila?"

My hands pause on the case of beer I'm restocking behind the bar. I look up, my irritated gaze meeting Mak's as he takes a seat at the empty bar.

"We're closed," I grumble.

I slam the cooler shut, grabbing a rag and stalking to the other side of the bar. Mak's eyes dig into me as I clean. I do my best to ignore him.

"Did I do something to upset you?" he asks after a few moments.

I sigh. He didn't– it's not fair of me to take my anger out on him.

"No," I tell him, finally meeting his eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm just..."

I trail off, not really knowing what to say. I've been in a terrible mood for the last few days. The only thing that's helped is mind-numbing physical labor, so I've been setting up Arabelle's pub and getting it ready for her to reopen. The town is already buzzing with anticipation. Moonwake can't wait to get back their beloved bar.

It's a bittersweet feeling for me.

"What can I do for you?" I ask Mak. Knowing him, he came here for a reason.

Mak studies me for a moment, clearly deciding if he should comment on my gloomy mood. Thankfully, he doesn't. He's always been good at figuring out when to leave a touchy subject alone. It's the main reason we get along so well most of the time.

"We need to talk," Mak says.

My eyes narrow, suddenly on guard. That's a very loaded phrase.

"About what?" I ask, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"The Niraki."

I glare, throwing my rag down in disbelief. "Noelani told you?" My voice rises with the sharp sting of betrayal– she was supposed to keep that a secret.

Cormak nods. "Don't get mad at her," he insists. "She's just worried– I am too."

I clench my fist. I have every right to be mad. I told her everything. My encounter with Althea. The nightmares I used to have of her when I was young. Noelani found the whole thing just as strange as I did, wondering why Althea would suddenly change her mind and tell me to take the Niraki. We both agreed not to tell anyone about them for now. Truthfully, we have no idea what they are capable of. There's no way of knowing how much damage could be done if they were to fall into the wrong hands...

Cormak's her brother, I reason. And I'm actually sort of proud of her for opening up to her brother. I know that wasn't easy for her.

"Why?" I ask Cormak– still defensive, but not quite so angry.

"I don't think you should leave them in Tsulona, Mila."

I frown. She told him about that too?

I have no desire to deal with the stupid magical cuffs. I figured why not just leave them here, buried deep beneath a land that knows nothing about blood magic or deceitful queens. What's the worst that could happen to them in Tsulona?

I scoff, shaking my head at Mak. "What's the alternative? Take them back to Armenta and hope that they don't somehow end up in Reina's hands? I can't let that happen, Mak. They'll be safer here."

"I'm not so sure of that." He sighs, a troubled look painted on his features. "When Mother came to take the Niraki from me she seemed worried– scared even. I don't know for sure, but I've always wondered if she was running from someone."

"You mean here in Tsulona?" I ask.

Cormak nods. "I think she took the hitchstone back to Armenta to keep the Niraki out of someone's hands."