XIX. Roselak

We decide to split up– well, Noelani decides we should split up. She thinks finding supplies will be faster this way. The princess grabs my arm, dragging me along as we move towards Caister's town square. Cormak and Arabelle quickly become little specks on the cobbled path.

Caister is smaller than I remember. And dirtier. The marketplace surprisingly has a lack of colorful flowers and ribbons. What happened here? The Caister from my memories is a lot more lively. This place has become downright dismal.

Noelani releases me as we approach the edge of the town square. I peer curiously at the merchant booths and follow her through the maze. We're looking for magical supplies– sokas and the like– but I'm not really sure what to look for.

Eventually something does catch my eye. It's a rack of colorful cloaks. I reach out and run the material through my fingers, pleased at the thick texture. I could use a cloak. It's a little chillier here than it was in Tsulona.

"Noelani," I call out, nodding to the rack of cloaks. She stops in her tracks, turning towards the merchant behind the booth– a short girl with inky black curls and dark blue eyes.

"Hello," Noelani greets kindly. I turn back towards the cloaks and rifle through them, letting Noelani carry the conversation.

"Hello!" the merchant responds cheerfully.

"You've got a great selection of trinkets," Noelani compliments. "Almost as pretty as the merchant herself."

My fingers freeze over a dark green cloak. I unhook the garment from the rack and stride over to the merchant's table.

The girl is giggling, batting her eyelashes at the princess.

I set the cloak down on the table with a raised eyebrow. "How much?" I ask dryly.

The girl's eyes gloss over mine. "Twenty shillings."

Before I can do my money-conjuring trick, Noelani pulls a few coins from the pouch hanging off the belt of her riding trousers. Her fingers brush over the girl's palm as she hands over the money with a smile.

I grab Noelani's arm. "Let's go."

She shakes me off, turning to the girl with another smile.

Noelani leans in, her voice dropping slightly. "Can I ask you a question?"

The girl nods, her curls bouncing wildly down her back.

I roll my eyes. Neither of them notice.

"I haven't been in Nirasus for a while," Noelani says, her voice remaining low and husky. "I couldn't help but notice that there is a lack of...certain items."

The merchant's eyebrows join together, her head tilting to one side like a puppy's.

"Magical items," Noelani supplies once she realizes that the girl is confused.

The merchant frowns. "I don't sell magical items," she says much too loudly. "That's considered treason."

"What ar–"

"Is there a problem here?" a voice booms behind me.

I spin on my heel, my heart pounding from the unexpected intrusion. There's a tall man with the royal crest emblazoned on the left side of his chest.

A Knight.

Instinctively, I reach an arm out to protect Noelani. The Knight's eyes follow my action closely, his hand itching towards the sword tied to his belt.

He glares. "What's going on here?"

"Nothing–" I start, but Noelani is faster. She throws her arms out, one hand grabbing the Knight and the other grabbing the merchant girl. She closes her eyes tightly and I feel a pulse of energy in the air around us. Magic?