CHAPTER SIXTY ONE: No Place Like Home

I had never been so relieved to see my big brother in all my life.

Sprinting up the dock, tripping over my own two feet, I couldn't move fast enough, and it felt like I was suspended in the air for hours when I leapt towards him. When I finally landed in his arms, everything I had been going through over the past few weeks hit me like a boulder, and I began to cry.

"Hey, I gotcha, love, I gotcha..." Paulie assured me softly, uncaring that I had latched onto his torso like a koala to a tree.
"Paulie..." I whimpered his name, pressing my face as hard as possible into the crook of his neck, fingers digging deep into his denim jacket.

"Delivered safe and sound, just as promised." I heard Killer approaching by the click of his heels against the wooden dock.
"Surprisingly, I didn't actually doubt ya." Paulie chuckled, but it was empty.

I knew he had been worrying for me since our first call after Kid and I broke up, and likely even more so once Killer had let him know of our impending arrival.
"I'll help carry her stuff to Galley-La, then I should head off."

I don't want you to go...

Adjusting me slightly, so I could cling more comfortably, Paulie hummed a little in thought.
"It was a long trip, so I reckon you'd be wise to stay for at least a day or so. Iceberg won't mind." I hadn't expected my brother to offer that, but I was glad.

Click, clack, I could hear Killer shift from one foot to the other, uncomfortably contemplating.
"Well...I 'spose one night wouldn't hurt. If you're sure. I know you aren't too keen on the likes of my type."

I just kept my face buried as Paulie began to walk, pinching a loose thread by his denim collar.
"You...honestly don't seem as bad as your reputation. This one always tells me I need to trust her judgement, anyway." He jostled me ever so slightly upon mention. "Don't strike me as a trouble maker, either. At least on your own."

Paulie Progress.

I didn't move from my place in Paulie's arms until we reached Galley-La, where he set me down once we were inside. There, Iceberg was waiting for us, a smile on his face.
"Welcome back, (Y/N), and Killer, too. Didn't expect you to return so soo-"

There was no stopping myself crashing into him for a hug, my arms constricting his waist as his hands settled around me.
"I'm sorry for putting you out, Icy..."

Great. Crying again. My emotions just won't stay in check. Fuck you, Eustass. Fuck you, Rockstar. Fuck you, me.

"Now, don't you ever feel the need to apologise for something like that. Haven't I always told you? My doors are always open to a friend in need. Besides, Tyrannosaurus missed you just as much."

I nuzzled into the furry tickle that came from Iceberg's breast pocket, hearing the happy squeaks the little mouse offered me in greeting.
"Are you sure you don't mind me staying for the night? I don't want to be a pain..." Killer didn't sound all too thrilled about spending the night in Water 7, it seemed.

"Nonsense! It's no bother, and there's plenty of room. What's mine is yours, so just relax. Go get yourselves cleaned up, and situated." Iceberg gently coaxed me to release him from the embrace, tapping his finger to my nose. "I'll let you know when dinner is ready."

Why did I hate it here so much? I mean, I know why, but the good really did outweigh the bad...

Upstairs, Killer split off from us when we reached his room, and Paulie lead me to where I'd be staying for the indefinite future. All of the rooms were so classy and large, I didn't feel like it suited me at all, yet I felt a strong sense of comfort being somewhere so familiar.