CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Measurements and Temperaments

***(Y/N) POV***

"Why the fuck are wench's clothes so expensive?!"

I rolled my eyes as Kid threw back another price tag, trying to focus on my hunt through the racks. He had insisted that he needed to accompany me to the boutique on the island so I wouldn't spend too much of his money, but he was just being a royal pain in my ass.

"Women's, Kid. Not wench's. Have some tact." I sighed, picking up a tube top and studying the stitching. "This was your plan, anyway. If you're not going to help me, then go to the tavern with your dudebros."

Grumbling a slew of insults under his breath, Kid continued to look around, turning his nose up at almost everything. Just seeing him standing in the store anyone could tell it didn't fit his aesthetic, but I wasn't trying to please his tastes. I had to think of what could help me pass as a lady of the night.

At least that term sounds less...filthy...

"What about this?" Tilting my head, I held up a golden, strapless dress with a cutaway torso and back. Kid barely took a second to even focus before he was showing his teeth, the skin around his nose wrinkling in disgust.
"You ain't showing that much skin. You'll look like a whore."

Deadpan, I couldn't even laugh at his response because it was so ridiculous.
"That's the point, my dude." Slinging the dress over my shoulder, I went on with my hunt, calling back on my memories of hookers I had seen slinking around the bars at night. I knew I needed to be at least a little classier than that, but it didn't hurt to use their styles as a base.

"This." Glancing up from the rack, I had to blink a few times when I saw what Kid was holding. It was a short, black A-line dress, very cinched at the waist. Cap-sleeved, cold shoulder, it was actually something I may have chosen for myself at some stage. That was the problem.
"It's pretty...but, uh, Kiddo...It isn't something a high end prostitute would wear..." I pointed out, raising a brow in daring question to a woman who gave me a horrified look from across the store.

"Whatever. You're getting it anyway. You stink, wearing the same three things all the time, and you've put tit bumps in all of Killer's shirts, you rank bitch..." Mimicking me by throwing the garment over his shoulder, Kid tried to act tough, but I found his words sweet once I deciphered their true meaning. He was being nice, in his own, Eustass-y way.

That store ended up being a bust, and I was pretty sure Kid just ended up stealing the dress he had chosen once we were back out on the street. People were giving us wary looks, and walking around us with wide births, and it kind of made me feel important even though I knew it wasn't me that they were scared of.

I mean, he does look important, strutting around all big and tall, with his fur-

"I have an idea." I reached out and grabbed Kid's arm, starting to drag him off to the left. Surprisingly, he didn't fight back, but the grumbling sure did commence.
"Quit dragging me around like I belong to you, you dumbass!" He snapped, despite following me with reluctant obedience.

"Upper class, um, escourts, usually wear furs. If I can find a fancy fur coat, all I need is some lingerie to go under it, maybe some nice boots, and I'll look the part! What did you say my budget was again? I know furs can be expensive." I explained, nearly pulling my entire arm out of my own socket when Kid stopped following me.

"If it's furs you want, I got plenty back on the ship. I ain't spending that much on you. I ain't your sugar daddy, sweetheart." He growled, snatching his arm back and shoving his hand in his pocket. "And don't you go tryin' to compare me to some slut for hire because I wear furs...bitch..."