CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: Olive Branch

***(Y/N) POV*** 

"This is too heavy for you, (Y/N). This is a man's job, (Y/N). Careful, (Y/N), you'll hurt yourself. Why don't you go find something else to do, (Y/N)? Stupid stupid stupid..." 

I knew the rest of the Kid Pirates were just trying to look out for me, but their unintentional sexism was really starting to get to me. I couldn't lift, pull or carry anything without one of them coming to my aid, even if I didn't need it. All I could manage to do without their interference was scrub the deck, wash their laundry or assist in the kitchen, all of which made me feel like a domestic housewife. 

That's what I was trying to escape in the first place... 

"What the actual fuck are you doing..?" I jolted when I heard a familiar voice, turning to see Kid standing in the open doorway, arms folded across his chest. I could understand why he felt the need to ask, even if I didn't want to have anything to do with him. I probably looked insane, crouched on the inside of the giant skull figurehead, a mop in hand, partially wedged through the large, ivory teeth. 

"Brushing Victoria's teeth. What does it look like?" I shrugged my shoulders, motioning my head down towards the thick ropes of seaweed and kelp that were lodged between the gaps. "She needs to look her best. Shame on you, not taking care of her dental health." Kid went to open his mouth and chew me out, but much to my surprise, he stopped himself, swallowing back down an insult or two, maybe a threat. 

"Whatever. Do it later. You're comin' with me." He ordered, which was his first mistake. At least for this particular interaction. Turning my back to him, I continued brushing and slapping at the green sludge with my soggy mop, knowing full well it would tick him off. Perhaps I was excited to make him mad again after such a long absence from each other. 

"Why should I? Because you're the big, scary captain? I'll come when I'm ready, and only if I feel like it. Right now? Don't feel like it." I explained firmly, stubbornness showing strong through my words. Even over the lap of the sea against the mouth of the ship I could hear his teeth grinding together. It filled me with a type of pride others may have cringed at. 

"Y'know, you ain't cute when you're being a bitch." Kid growled, advancing a step closer. Reacting to his movement, I spun around with the mop held like a sword, daring him with my eyes to continue forward. 
"Good. Cute isn't the aim of my game." 

Come on. React. Arc up. Get mad. 

Kid's eyes travelled from the sopping brush, along the wooden handle, up the length of my arm until they settled on my face, silent until he saw me beginning to get uncomfortable with it.
"Please. Just come."

Did...he just..? Say please?

My arm fell limp, the mop hitting the floor with a wet plop as I stared at him. He was being polite, and it was unnatural.
"Uh...okay? You sure you don't wanna pick me up by the scruff? Drag me by the hair? Threaten my life?" I questioned sceptically.

"What? You want me to?" He asked, masked traces of frustration leaking through into his tone. That was the thing. I kind of did. That was what I was used to, after all.
"Um...your call..?"

Rolling his eyes, the pirate captain turned on his heel and disappeared through the door. I hesitated before following, my mind jumping from one conclusion to the next.

Why had he been somewhat polite? Had something happened? Good or bad? Why was I even giving him the time of day?

I didn't really pay much attention to where we were heading until he was holding the door to his quarters open for me.
"Go on, then." He jerked his head to urge me in, but I stood still, raising a brow and taking a step back.