CHAPTER THIRTY NINE: Concerns

"I'll admit...she's a gorgeous ship..."

Paulie ran his hand along the outer hull of the Victoria Punk, inspecting it closely.
"Of course she is. Designed her myself, and made the figurehead from scratch." Kid replied, as smug as ever.

"I'm guessing as pirates you want to reinforce the structure, and add more canons?" Iceberg asked curiously, already starting to jot things down in his handy dandy notebook.

"Yeah, and I've got a few other ideas too..." Kid seemed preoccupied with planning, so I took that opportunity to drag Paulie onboard, straight up to Wire and Heat who were standing by the helm.

"Guys, I'd like you to meet my big brother, Paulie! Pauls, meet Heat and Wire!" I motioned to each man in turn, smiling. "They're my good friends, too!" Paulie looked unnerved by the sight of them, but thankfully the pair were polite, nodding in greeting.

"The legendary Paulie. Nice to meet you." Wire greeted, and Heat gave him a little wave. He wasn't much of a talker outside of the crew circle. He offered his hand to shake, and Paulie reluctantly accepted.
"Likewise..." He murmured, glancing to me as though to ask 'what the hell kind of company do you keep?'.

"Oh! Oh oh oh! Come here come here come here!" Dragging my brother along once more, I brought him into Kid's study, rushing over to pick up my adorable feline blob. "Meet your nephmew! Missy! It's short for Missile Launcher! Isn't he cute?!"

Paulie's face scrunched up as Missy looked at him with one of his eyes - the other in the opposite direction - and gurgled like a clogged sink.
"Wh..What happened to it..?"

Gasping in offence, I squished the cat to my chest, turning my nose towards the ceiling.
"Why does everybody insult my son?! He's prettier than everyone I know combined!" I huffed, Missy starting to messily gnaw on one of my buttons.

"Maybe it's because he has the texture of month old boiled chicken?" I turned to find Killer in the doorway, thumbing over his shoulder. "Hate to interrupt, but I think we'd all rather avoid Kid having a hissy fit over all of us being in his study without permission."

Rolling my eyes, but not arguing, I set Missy back down and nudged Paulie into a walk. We ended up back on deck, standing in a triad away from the others.
"So...You're the one who said he'd die for my sister, aren't you?" Paulie spoke up, and Killer nodded.

"I am, and I meant every word." He replied, and I felt that slight pang of upset I had felt back when he had originally said it. Paulie analysed the other blond for a few long moments before patting me on the shoulder.
"(Y/N), could you give us a moment?"

Ah shit.

"But-"
"I'm asking you nicely." Paulie pressed, and I heaved a sigh of defeat, turning on my heel and plodding off towards the ramp.
"Fine, but if I hear you've been an asshole to him I'll literally disown you."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
***PAULIE POV***

Once (Y/N) was out of earshot I turned back to the man in the striped helmet, folding my arms across my chest in an attempt to match his dominance. It was impossible, however. He was far more intimidating than I was without even trying.

"You've got concerns." Killer spoke before I had the chance, reading my mind. "I'll do my best to ease them. It's hard to get me mad, so don't worry about that."

Well, that's a relief, at least...

Giving him another once over with my eyes, I decided to just get on with it, ignoring the chatter coming from the other side of the ship.
"How did my sister end up with one of the most notorious crews of the Worst Generation?"