Book 2: Chapter 5

-HER-

"So tell me..." My father trailed off, looking at me with some hesitation.

"Ophelia," I reminded him of my name again.

"Yes, Ophelia," He gave me an apologetic smile, "How has it been for you so far?" He asked me. We were currently sitting in my aunt's parlour while the maid was serving some tea and snacks. I could feel my aunt's burning eyes on me upon being asked this question.

"Oh, it has been wonderful," I breathed, giving a nervous look to my aunt, who had her eyes set on me murderously. My heart was threatening to dig out of my chest as I gave a skittish laugh, digging my nail in my palm. "She has done a splendid job looking after me. She had never made me feel the absence of my parents,"

I tried my best to sugarcoat my words, hoping that this would help me get out of the trouble that I was in. However, the murderous look and the fake smile on my aunt's lips told me it wouldn't be that easy. There's no way she would leave me alone now. She would do anything to know where I had been for the past few months. I crossed my fingers, hoping she wouldn't tell my father about my absence. It would just make things worse for me.

"That's so sweet of her," My aunt laughed in a bitter tone, shootings daggers at me through her eyes, "I have done my absolute best to raise her. I took care of all her needs and ensured she got nothing but the best. I have my hopes high for her. After all, she has such a fine pedigree," My aunt remarked, throwing a judgemental look at my father.

He laughed, but it didn't reach his eyes. I could see him getting slightly tense as he gave my aunt a cold look.

"I am glad to hear that," He stopped abruptly, looking at me for help.

"Wilhelmina," I reminded him of my aunt's name. The murderous intensity in my aunt's eyes seemed to have gone up by a notch, and this was making my hands and feet go cold.

"Wilhelmina, I am so glad to hear you took such great care of my daughter in my absence. I couldn't be more grateful to you. I always knew you would be able to look after her well," My dad spoke with that fake smile. I could almost hear him chewing his words out while the eeriness in his eyes made me shiver.

"I am pleased that you think that way. I have also been trying to find a suitor for your daughter since she's of marriageable age," My aunt declared. Instantly, my father's eyes lit up with a spark that told me to run for the hills.

"Oh, have you managed to find someone?" He asked, looking between my aunt and me. My aunt gave me a burning stare before she answered with a tight smile, "No, I haven't been able to find someone as eligible as her. Your daughter is so special... very special, indeed. You wouldn't believe how many suitors she has. She rejects at least five every week, but I am determined to get her wedded by the end of this year," My aunt spoke with a zeal that made my bones rattle.

"Well, I don't blame my daughter. She is such a beauty... just like her mother. She deserves the best, of course," My father replied, looking at me with his bright eyes that made me feel more and more uncomfortable every second.

"I could definitely use some of your help to keep up with your daughter's high expectations," My aunt smiled venomously at me. My father gave an uncomfortable laugh before he cleared his voice.

"I do have a perfect suitor for her," My father declared. Instantly my blood ran cold. I wouldn't even trust my father with my life; selecting a suitor was another thing.

"Oh, you do?" My aunt's eyes lit up. I looked between my father and my aunt in panic, unable to believe that this was happening. I felt my stomach twisting in my abdomen almost painfully.

"Yes, in fact, he already knows about her and is ready to marry her. All there is left to do is for her to come with me," My father spoke with a cunning smile. My heart was beating faster in my chest as I looked at him, cold sweat breaking out all over my forehead. My aunt was surprised to hear that as well, but she looked rather pleased to hear that. I could already see her eyes twinkling. She was excited about the idea of me leaving soon.

"How wonderful," My aunt smiled genuinely for this time as she looked at me in relief. "Somethings are truly a blessing in disguise. Thank you, Bertand for visiting me. I couldn't have been happier to see you,"

"I could tell that,"

"When are you leaving?" My aunt asked almost too enthusiastically, "I mean, how long is your stay going to be here? I would love to have you as my guest," I could hear the poison in my aunt's voice as she spoke with a sickly sweet smile. Catching the sarcasm well, my father replied with a dry laugh.

"You don't have to worry about me, Wilhelmina," My father spoke, "I will have to leave tonight. I have important matters to attend to," My aunt's eyes lit up even more at this. I hadn't seen her this happy in a long time.

"And what about Ophelia?" She asked, "You would be taking her with you, right?"

"Of course," My father smiled at me, not genuinely, "I was missing her so much. That's why I decided to come this way, and I am so happy that I did,"

"Oh, then you must already start packing your clothes," Aunt shot at me.

"Yes, you must," My father pressed. Meanwhile, I was feeling more and more claustrophobic in that room. It felt like someone was suffocating... the two of them were suffocating me.

"Can we leave tomorrow?" I managed to ask despite the thick tension in the room. My question was followed by a deathly silence, but my father broke it soon by clearing his throat again.

"Well, I must leave tonight for work, and you would have to come with me," He spoke in a calm voice, but the commanding aura in his was unmistakable.

"Alright," I muttered, not having another choice. My aunt didn't protest at all. She looked happier with every passing second. In fact, it seemed to be her happiest day on this planet.

"Don't worry, my sweet little angel. You can come to visit your aunt whenever you want, but I assure you, you wouldn't get the time for that," His cunning eyes twinkled as he said that.

~

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

Read the next chapter on Inkitt for free. Or you can read the next 6 chapters on Patreon. The links are in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3