𝟏𝟐| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

"Oh, I know him," It was after those words had left my mouth and in response to that the two men had frozen in front of me, I realized that I'd said that out loud.

Frith was the one to turn around instantly glare at me but Mr. Night kept standing with his back at me, frozen. Though it didn't go unnoticed by me how hard he was clutching his cane. I could see how his whole body was tensed.

Firth's glare didn't make me anxious as much as Mr. Night's tensed body did. His lack of instant reaction was only adding to my anxiousness.

Slowly, painfully slowly, Mr. Night turned around to finally face me. A shiver ran down my spine when our eyes locked. His top hat was casting shadows around his eyes, making them look darker and much graver than they actually were.

The fact that he had one of his hands inside his pockets didn't go unnoticed by me either. It was what made my heart stop beating for a moment but I tried not to think too much about it and face him instead.

His jaw was set as he regarded me coolly for a moment.

"You know him?" He asked gravely.

"Yes,"

"How?"

"He's one of the new residents in the area and had visited my uncle's house a couple of times," I told him while he slightly tilted his head at a side and listened to me keenly.

"What do you know about him?" He inquired further.

I opened my mouth but then shut it instantly before I tilted my head and looked at him. Why was he interested in one of my neighbors all of a sudden?

"What do you want to know about him?" I asked him in return. In response, Mr. Night set his jaw and gave me a long hard look which had me shuffling on my feet anxiously.

"What do you know about him?" He asked me again.

"Well, that would be easier for me to answer if you tell me first what you want to know about him," I explained.

Another moment of silence stretched between us before Filth decided to interfere, "I don't understand why you need to poke your nose in everything we do-"

"Tell me if he has a family and if they live with them," Mr. Night cut in, surprising both— me and Filth.

"Mr. Campbell's family?" I asked before trying to remember if he had a family at all. But before I could try to recall more about him, it struck me— why was Mr. Night interested in Mr. Campbells' family?

Was he going to do something to his family? The look on Mr. Night's face sent a shiver down my spine when I remembered what he'd done to Edward.

"Why do you want to know that?" I enquired. Frith hissed on Mr. Night's behalf while the latter simply stood there with his jaw set, looking at me gravely and clutching his cane with enough force that had me wondering why it hadn't snapped into two yet.

Mr. Night didn't say anything. Instead, he took two long strides towards me until he was standing right in front of me. His face was inches above mine as he demanded, "Does Campbell has a family or not?"

Now, this really made me forget why Mr. Night was so keen about finding out about Mr. Campbell's family and focus on recalling about Mr. Campbell.

As far as I remembered, Mr. Campbell was a bachelor— something my aunt had noticed right away and had tried to set me up with him but much to her dismay, it didn't work out because on whatever occasions he'd visited my uncle's house, I'd made sure to make his stay short by finding creative ways of spilling hot tea all over him.