II. The Mayor of Moonwake

Start from the beginning

What the Deities is that supposed to mean?

_____

I arrive at the mayor's house fifteen minutes late. In my defense, I'm expecting an office building rather than the mayor's personal home, so I overlook the giant gray mansion several times before realizing it's the right place. The house is huge, big enough to fit at least four families, in a style of architecture that I don't recognize at all. Some sort of fantasy-inspired castle, I suppose.

The mayor answers the door mere seconds after I ring the bell, leading me to believe that she was impatiently waiting on the other side of the door.

That's not strange at all.

"Miss Wilde," she greets dryly. "We'll be having drinks in the parlor."

"Okay," I say, but she's already turning around and leading me through the front door. Not exactly the friendly type, I've gathered.

We pass through an open entryway with marble floors and two grand staircases. It's a beautiful house, really. It's obvious how every little detail has been handled with care– even the tiny trim work on the walls looks hand-carved to perfection.

There's a hallway on each side of the grand entryway. The mayor leads me down the left one and into another large room with two pristine-looking couches and a stone fireplace. Off in the corner there is a drink cart topped with various mixes, an ice bucket, and two crystal glasses.

Noelani glances at me sideways. "Would you like a drink?"

I raise an eyebrow. Isn't that why I'm here?

I nod and the mayor makes a detour to the drink cart. Perhaps I shouldn't drink while still trying to get over a hangover, but that's a problem for my liver, not me.

I glance around realizing that while the walls are large, and there are many of them, I haven't seen any personal effects or family pictures yet.

"You live here alone?" I ask curiously. She stares at me briefly, but doesn't answer.

I frown. Only someone with something to hide would live in such a large house all alone.

"What would you like to drink?" she asks, her mouth set in a tight line.

Somebody looks stressed.

I wave an absent hand as I approach one of the dark red couches and settle in. "Whatever you're having. I'm not picky."

"Red wine?" she asks, and if I'm not mistaken there's an amused quirk to the left side of her mouth.

I nearly scoff. "Anything but that," I say quickly.

She turns away, her crooked half-smile fading from view.

As Noelani pours our drinks I continue to take in the room, noticing for the first time the two solid wood bookcases lining the back wall. They look eerily similar to the ones in the stone library, reminding me of my strange predicament.

"Noelani?" I call out, not exactly sure how I plan to broach the subject of my weird dream.

The mayor returns suddenly, two drinks in hand. The dark liquid sloshes dangerously with each pointed step in my direction.

"You will address me by Mayor Desai," she snaps, all signs of her earlier amusement completely vanished.

I nearly roll my eyes at her before I catch myself– I should play nice. For now.

"Mayor Desai," I try again as she places one of the glasses in my hand and takes a seat on the couch opposite of me. "I–"

"There's a lot to cover," she interrupts me rudely. "Let me explain, and then you can ask your questions at the end."