|12

K A R E E M ' S P O V

"MAN, I'M BEAT," I COMPLAIN TO MICHEAL, WIPING the sweat off my brow with a towel. After a 3-hour practice in preparation for the game tomorrow, the only thing on my mind was to go to bed.

"You know," Micheal says, chugging down his water before continuing, "Talita is starting a bible study. It's every Saturday evening at her place."

I let out a groan at his words. There were more important things on my mind like Chloe and Dad that I didn't feel the need to read the Bible. "Micheal, I just ain't cool with that sort of religion. Besides, I'm busy on Saturday."

"Let me guess, you plan to spend Saturday playing on 2K22?" Micheal adds sarcastically causing me to roll my eyes at his words.

"Pastor Dan's making me do some coaching for these kids at the rec center. It was either that or the food drive."

"You, a coach?" Micheal asks, a small smile creeping up on his face. "That's not a bad idea. What time do you think it'll end?"

"Man I dunno. I gotta ask him," I reply, stuffing my clothes into my gym bag before slinging it onto my shoulders. Once he's ready, the both of us head out of the locker room.

"Well, I'm proud of you for actually doing something with your life."

I once again roll my eyes at him before moving on to the question that had been on my mind for a while. "So do you know what's up with Chloe?"

Micheal gives me a confused look. "Talita did say they fought the other day. Why, what happened with you two?"

I let out a long breath of air as we begin our way around campus, the cold wind biting our skin. "She's been distant I guess... like I dunno she just doesn't want to talk to me anymore."

Don't forget the fact that you use her as a punching bag when you drunk.

Micheal pauses before speaking up again. "You should try talking to Pastor Daniel. Trust me he's a big help when it comes to these sorts of problems. He helped with me and Talita."

I snort. "You and Talita are the definition of a couple. What happened with you guys?"

"I guess we were too afraid we would fall into the temptation to do certain things if we grew closer. But Pastor gave us verses and then prayed for us so now, we've become the people we are today."

I only shrug at his testimony.

"Hey, it wouldn't hurt. Besides, he's a really good guy when it comes to these things," Micheal presses.

"Maybe," I mutter. We continue talking and walking until I reach my dorm building and head inside, waving at a few people I know as I enter the elevator. My phone buzzes in my pocket once I step out and I begin to feel my blood run cold as I read the message.