|3

C H L O E ' S P O V

C H L O E ' S P O V

"Girl, what in the world are you doing?" Talita asks me as she enters my dorm while I was busy studying for a physics exam I would be having on Tuesday.

"What does it look like? I'm studying," I tell her, my head still looking at the words on the page.

"I mean that tonight is Kareem's game which is in 2 hours and you haven't even showered."

I wince internally at the name Kareem. I was still avoiding him, not wanting to be used as his punching bag. I knew how much it hurt him and it hurt me not being able to talk to him but I allowed the fear of being hit all over again to get in the way of our relationship.

"I probably won't be able to make it. This quiz is a huge amount of points and I want to make sure I'm prepared for it," I reply.

"Girl really? First, you don't go to church with me anymore and now you've been avoiding Kareem. C, is there something you ain't telling me?"

"I'm just busy right now and I don't have time for distractions!"

"So your boyfriend and God are distractions then," she says, hands crossed on her chest.

"I-I'm- ugh I'm just busy okay? Besides, I watch the sermons online."

"Online! You know what-" Talita snatches my textbook and notebook off my desk.

"What the hell? Talita I ain't got time for this right now," I say, reaching my arm for the book which she only raises.

"You are going to get your behind in the bathroom and shower and get ready for the game. And tomorrow you will come to church. I refuse to see you like this girl."

"Talita-"

"I said get yo behind in the bathroom!"

Grumbling, I head toward the bathroom, thankful that Miriam, my roommate, wasn't here to hog it, knowing she would use up all the hot water. I peel off my clothes and head in, being careful to wash my still-sensitive stomach and back and wash my hair before getting out and putting on lotion and my outfit, and my makeup. My face had healed a bit over the past few days, the scars starting to fade although they were still visible which meant I would have to put foundation and blush so I didn't look as dead on the outside as I was on the inside.

"Are you done yet? It's been almost an hour and a half now!" Talita yells from outside the door making me roll my eyes. "At least tell me you have your outfit. Are you wearing the Lululemon jacket you have?"

"Girl stop bombarding me with all these questions. And yes, I am wearing the top," I shout back before brushing out my hair which was starting to return to its natural state. Finally, when all the makeup had been put on, I headed out only to find Talita on my phone, sitting on my bed.

"What the hell Talita! Why are you on my phone?" I yell, grabbing my now unlocked phone from her hands. Of course, she had to go through me and Kareem's messages.

"Why has Kareem been texting you and you haven't been answering? Girl, there is something wrong with you and you obviously ain't telling me. Ignoring church and now your boyfriend?"

"Just stop getting in my business Talita! I'm fine," I shout. Talita's eyes widen at how high my volume is, concern filling her eyes.

"C, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gone through your messages or interrogated you like that," she apologized.

"Can we just go to the game please?" I tell her, my hand rubbing my temples. Talita nods and we both head out, awkward silence filling the room while the butterflies in my stomach grew as we reached the game.

XXX

"I found seats!" Talita yells over the noise before grabbing my wrist which I instantly jerk from, rubbing my wrist as Talita gives me a confused look as we walk toward the last seats in the 3rd row. Taking our seats, the game soon begins, the teams now stepping onto the court as I see Kareem's number 8, my heart racing as he looks around only to notice me, a smile on his face as I look away from him.

The whistle blows and the game begins with cheers and rants coming from the crowds. Soon, everyone begins to stand up, screaming as loud as they could as Kareem scored a ball in.

"That's your man right there!" Talita mouths, a smile soon going on my face, pride filling me as I watch them continue to play.

It was only a few seconds later though that the referee's whistle was blown, with people beginning to roar and scream until I saw it. Kareem had been pushed off by the opposing team's player and was now yelling at the guy, his hands in fists as more people had to separate them to keep them from fighting. My stomach turned in knots as I saw him angrily walk off the court, the same look on his face he gave me when he was hitting me. Breath shallow, I grab my things and push my way to the outside of the gym, ignoring Talita's pleas, as tears watered my eyes.

Why did I even come in the first place? I thought, walking alone on the paths to my dorm. I knew this was going to happen. He was going to beat someone up.

You don't know that, a small voice said. I shoved it down as I entered the building, my body was now way too exhausted to walk up the stairs so I called for the elevator, pulling out my phone to see 3 missed calls from Talita and 12 missed messages. Silencing my device, I head toward my room, unlocking it before collapsing onto my bed, way too tired now to do anything except sleep, my nightmares haunting me throughout the night.

XXX

K A R E E M ' S P O V

After being removed from the second half of the game, I take my seat on the bench as Coach scolds me.

"Even if he did do something wrong, son, you know better than to hit anyone. What if scouts were watching you tonight son? You think they'd be impressed by that."

"No sir," I mutter.

His face softens up a bit as he turns to watch the rest of the team plays as I check behind me to see if Chloe was still there. Talita, as if knowing I was looking for her, shakes her head making me slouch on the bench. Why do I always keep messing things up?

The rest of the game fades as I turn numb, with the final scores being 38-67, keeping our team's winning streak of the season. The team heads to the locker room to change and I follow, ignoring the whoops and cheers in the room before heading out, only to hear footsteps follow me.

"Hey, Kareem you a'ight?" Micheal asks me. I shrug.

"It is what it is I guess," I reply, trying to walk a bit faster to my own dorm.

"You coming to church tomorrow? Talita says she's going to bring Chloe there?"

"You know church isn't my thing. Besides, I have things to study for anyways."

"We both know you never even have to study to get good grades. C'mon man, at least for me. I'll owe you."

"I'm pretty sure Chloe isn't going to be happy to see me there."

"Well go for me then. Please?"

I sigh before replying, knowing he'd keep bothering me if I didn't accept. "Fine, I'll come."

"Great. Also, can we take your car there? Mine's is broken."

"Why you be driving that crap? There is always something broken or damaged about that thing."

"Shut up. Anyways, I gotta bounce so can you come by my building by 9?"

"'Kay."

Any thoughts people? Do you think Chloe should've acted the way she did?

Make sure to comment your thoughts and vote on this story and I'll see y'all in the next chapter.