|8

C H L O E ' S P O V

C H L O E ' S P O V

SLAP. MY FACE STINGS AS KAREEM, HIS EYES FILLED WITH rage hits me for what seems to me the millionth time.

Kareem cussed under his breath before yet another punch went onto my cheekbones and I yelled out in response, crying even harder as he hit me even more. The pain was excruciating as the hits and kicks continued.

"Shut up," he yelled. "Or else what I'll do to you will be even worse!"

Blood falls from my lips as he punches it, the sting unbearable. Jesus save me, I thought. Help me. Save me from this monster. Taking another slap on the cheek, I finally fall to the ground, way too weak to even stand up at this point. Feeling my body giving up from the pain, I allow my eyelids to close heavily, as he takes his final punch.

I sit up straight, gasping and turning my head, only to realize that it was all simply a nightmare of what had happened not too long ago. Grabbing my phone off the nightstand, I notice the time. 3:15 a.m. Only three hours before I would have to wake up. Wiping all sweat from my forehead, I force myself to fall into the mattress although my mind decided to stay awake, sleep simply not coming to me.

"Why, God?" I cried, my words muffled in my pillow. "Why would you let me go through all of this?"

Do you really think that out of all the people in the world, he cares about you? My mind hissed. Of course, he doesn't. No one does.

XXX

"Chloe, are you okay?" Mom asks me over the phone. I had been sitting in Starbucks for the past hour although my mind was far off from the conversation.

"I'm fine Mom really."

"Talita told me about what you said to her the other day. That you no longer believe."

I let out a groan. Of course, Talita was all up in my business again. "Mom I just don't anymore, okay? Can we not talk about it?"

"Why Chloe? You know better than that," Mom pesters.

"Mom, I just said I don't want to talk about it okay? What I believe in is not any of your concern!" I snapped, ignoring the few stares that were coming my way.

"And what about Kareem? His Mom called me and said he got suspended for fighting."

"Mama I don't want to talk about him right now."

"Why? He hit you or something?"

The blood in my body goes cold at her words, myself already feeling exposed. Swallowing back anything that would admit what was happening, I answer her. "No. We just going through a rough patch that's all."

Girl, what type of lie was that? Even Satan could make that sound more convincing than you. And if your Mama finds you, you will be better off dead.