Chapter 23: Echoes of the Past, a Shared Smile

"He killed your father!"

Sheira's POV

I find myself standing by the window, my body present but my mind elsewhere, lost in a sea of questions. Could it really be true? Could Eamon have been the one to end my father's life? The thought seems absurd, unbelievable.

The war has come to an end, yet without the clarity of truth, peace eludes me. I'm not feeling well, a sense of unease has settled over me. I managed a few steps toward the bed, my head spinning slightly.

Before I had a chance to steady myself, the door swung open, and in walked Eamon. He was holding a cup of tea, the steam gently rising from it. He settled into the chair next to my bed, carefully blowed on the tea before handing it to me.

I can't help but notice how handsome he is...

His hair is as dark as the midnight sky, his eyes a deep obsidian. There's no denying it, he's breathtakingly attractive.

"Sheira? You okay?"

Before I could react, his face was just a few inches away from mine. My body froze at the same time, my heart skipped a beat and started to run two times faster. I gulped.

"Y-yes, I'm fine," my startled eyes met his.

He placed his hand on my forehead, his expression turned serious.

"W-what is it?" I asked nervously.

"Your face was a bit flushed earlier. I was worried you might be coming down with something. Are you sure you're okay?" he questioned, genuine concern etched across his face.

"I'm...I'm okay," I replied.

"Here, have some tea," he offered, handing me a cup of his favorite brew.

"Thank you."

I settled back onto the bed, taking small sips of the tea. It has an earthy flavor, grounding and calming, transporting me to a world of peace, free from conflict and strife.

All the while, Eamon watched me, his gaze steady and unyielding. I appreciate his concern, but it's kinda weird, I am not used to it.

"W-what is it?" I blushed.

"I was just curious about what you were daydreaming about," he asked, still with that face.

"Oh, uhh... I was just thinking about my real parents."

Without warning, he kneeled on the floor, his head bowed in what appeared to be an apology. I'm taken aback by his sudden action, reached out to help him stand.

"What are you doing? Why are you kneeling all of a sudden?!" I asked, startled.

"I made a huge mistake, something I should have never done," he confessed...

"What huge mistake are you talking about? You've never done anything to hurt me," I said, confusion filling my expression.

"No, I did do something wrong," he insisted.

Eamon's POV

I began, "Years ago when I was just a boy, I lived in this kingdom with my father, who was the King's closest confidant. They were like brothers, their laughter echoing through the halls. But one day, everything changed. Someone who bore a grudge against the King destroyed our peaceful life."

"On that fateful day, I was taken to a secluded place. There, I found my father and the Queen unconscious. The King was the only one awake," I continued.

"A man handed me a dagger and forced me to take the King's life. He beat me, threatened me, and said he would kill us all if I didn't do as he commanded," I added. "In the end, I found myself holding a bloodied dagger, the King lying lifeless before me. After that, all I remember is my father's death, which was announced a few days later, and nothing more."

"I only remembered all this when you struck down the master of the Heians," I confessed, my words hanging in the air for a moment.

Sheira's POV

"The true King of ZiYou... was the Great Zane, your biological father," he stated.

"W... What?"

Dad? The setting morphed into countless depictions of a person, someone I barely knew yet felt strangely acquainted with. The echo of a dirge filled the air, first one, then two, and three trumpets. The azure heavens parted as a horse with a silver-white mane charged forward.

Sheira...Sheira...

"Sheira," Eamon nudged me gently, pulling me back from my trance.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

"I'm...I'm fine."

He slowly pulled back himself as he continued, "He made me promise something with his dying breath."

"He told me not to blame myself, to live the life I'd always wanted. In his final moments, he gripped my hand and said...

"'Eamon, please take care of my daughter. Her name is Sheira Zane. I entrust her to you now. And please, do everything you can to make her happy', Those were his last words before he left this world. All I could do was cry and blame myself."

He continued, "Then years later, after an expedition, I met you for the first time. You were standing next to Yuri, a good friend of mine. As I approached, you introduced yourself.

"I'm Sheira Zane.

"At that time, I realized. It was you, the Sheira Zane I was looking for. Sorry for acting cold all the time, I am not good at talking to people. Fortunately, you are safe..."

"Sheira..?" he called me.

I went completely silent.

The truth hit me like a tidal wave, threatening to pull me under. Eamon, the one who had been by my side, who had protected me, was the one who had taken my father's life. My mind reeled, trying to reconcile this revelation with the man I had come to know and care for.

But as the shock began to fade, I found myself thinking of the circumstances that led to that fateful day. Eamon was just a child, manipulated and coerced into a horrific act. I could hear the remorse in his voice, see the guilt etched on his face. He had been carrying this burden for years.

Despite the pain, despite the anger that flared momentarily, I found it in my heart to forgive him. My father was a forgiving man, a man who wanted nothing more than for his daughter to be happy. If he could forgive Eamon, then so could I.

It was a hard truth to accept, but I knew I had to. Eamon had proven himself to be a loyal friend, a protector. I chose to see him for the man he had become, not the act he was forced to commit in the past. It was painful, it was difficult, but it was a step I knew I had to take.

"Eamon..."

I reached out and wrapped my arms around him, pulled him into a comforting hug. I could hear a soft whimper escape from him.

"Thank you for being honest with me, for keeping your promise, and... for always protecting me," I said.

In response, he smiled...

"You're smiling again, Eamon."

"Thank you, my Queen."

"Queen?"

To be continued...

- - - - - - - - -

In Ziyou's culture, kneeling is a form of apology for doing an unforgivable crime.