7: A Strange Meeting With All The Rulers 2

Start from the beginning

And then it clicked in Gem's head. She didn't know she used to be a ruler herself! Shit, Gem had royally screwed up.

"Oohh.." She muttered as she realized what was happening. "Um, you were really good friends with everyone. They didn't mind." Gem said, and Lizzie's concern faded.

"But how did I become friends with all the rulers? I mean, Joel said it was through him, but how did they all like me?" 

"You're.. a very likeable person. And all the rulers are really humble. Most of them personally know a lot of their townspeople. Except for Joey-- he strangely loves it when the villagers bow down to him." Gem explained.

"Yeah, he does." Lizzie remarked with a laugh.

"You met him already?" 

"Yeah, I met Jimmy, Joey, and Scott." Lizzie replied, and Gem replied with a small "Oh."

"Were they nice to you?" Gem asked soon after, although she figured they were, she could never be too sure if Joey was harsh on her, even with her memory loss.

"Yeah. They were confused and concerned, but they were nice." Lizzie responded as they reached the end of the garden, which had a fountain. They both sat down at the edge of the fountain and watched the water flow throughout it; and it made Lizzie feel at peace.

"Was there seriously no one who didn't like me?" Lizzie asked after some silence and thinking, in disbelief. 

"Only your enemies," Gem responded with a laugh.

"I had enemies?" Lizzie said, surprised. 

"Not too many, because people knew not to get on your bad side. But Xornoth didn't like you-- although, he didn't like anyone. You and Joey had this frenemy phase, where he acted like he didn't like you. But now that I think about it, there wasn't too many people who disliked you. I guess you're just that likeable?" Gem said, and they both briefly laughed.

"Well, that's good," Lizzie said. "It'd be awkward if the last time I saw someone we were on bad terms and now I had to see them with no memory of anything." 

"Yeah, it would be." Gem agreed.  They stayed in silence for a while, until Lizzie came up with a question to ask.

"What kingdom did I live in?" She questioned.

"Mmm.." Gem thought for a second, because she didn't know if the truth was too risky or not. "The Ocean Empire," She answered, leaving Lizzie with such a mix of emotions, that her face was unreadable.

"Oh." The latter said, and she was getting a migraine from the memories coming back to her. Faint, and untellable, but there. She shook them away. "I.. I woke up there. It was in ruins! Do you know what happened to it?" 

"Um.." Gem was unsure what to say, because to be honest, she didn't. She just knew that the ocean was drained for some reason, and most definitely from Xornoth. "I'm sorry, but I don't. I haven't gotten the chance to figure it out yet." She said, and Lizzie seemed upset for a split second, but hid it.

"That's alright. Thank you, though." Lizzie replied, and then they sat in silence for a while again, until Gem spoke up this time. 

"Well, we should get back to the others. They probably want to speak to you, and from what I saw earlier, are probably all giving Joel a piece of their mind." She stood up and held out her hand for Lizzie's, which she took, and they walked back to the meeting room.

When they got there, they all had their eyes on Joel, and were all speaking at once, while Joel looked exasperated and was trying to answer everyone. Off to the side, Scott and Jimmy were talking by themselves, about who knows what, and Joey was sitting down and rolling his eyes at everyone's attention on Joel.