Chapter 19

"Jessica?" I felt someone nudge me under the table to get my attention and I came back down to earth. My body was in psychology on a Friday afternoon but my mind was elsewhere.

My teacher Miss Hurdle was staring at me, presumably waiting for an answer to a question I hadn't heard since I was completely zoned out. "Sorry Miss, I wasn't listening," I admitted and she sighed.

"I asked what the name of the study was we learnt about last year that was investigating the reliability of eye witness testimonies."

"Loftus and Palmer."

"Yes, thank you. Pay attention please."

We were starting criminal psychology which I was really excited about, but I just couldn't focus for some reason. Maybe because I only had this lesson to go before I finished for half term which meant a week off school - certainly more exciting than criminal psychology. Or maybe it was because I couldn't stop thinking about how I felt about Harry after everything that'd happened since I'd met him.

The bell rang and Miss Hurdle dismissed us. I pulled out my phone as I walked aimlessly out of the classroom, bringing up Liam's contact and tapping call.

After a few rings he picked up and whispered down the line, "Hello?"

"Hey, Liam. Why are you whispering?" I laughed.

"I'm in a lecture."

"Oh. Sorry."

"It's okay, I'm bored as hell," he chuckled quietly, "Why'd you call?"

"I was gonna see if you wanted to get lunch or come over or something but I guess you're busy." I moped along the hallway towards the common room.

"Yeah, I am. Sorry," he sounded truly apologetic and I could imagine him pouting.

"It's okay. Weekend?"

"I'd love to, Jess, but I'm going away tomorrow morning for the half term week with my family. I'm sorry."

"I know you are," I sighed. "Okay, well, I'll see you in a week then. Enjoy your lecture."

"You will, definitely. Bye love."

I ended the call just as I made it to the sixth form block and pulled open the doors. It really was getting irritating that Liam was always at uni, studying, working or with his family. Was he not taking this relationship seriously or did he just not realise that he was kind of neglecting me? I knew he'd be busier when he started university but I thought maybe he'd devote a little more of his free time to being with me.

I plodded up the stairs to the common room, technically I could go home now since I had no more lessons but honestly I couldn't be bothered to walk home so I thought I'd just wait it out for my mum or Niall to be able to pick me up. When I stepped through the doorway the room was completely empty apart from one person sitting on the cushiony chairs studying, and that person was of course Harry. Just my luck.

Why was this boy everywhere I went? I thought.

The tables we have in here are tiny and square with the shortest legs you could imagine, and since Harry had the longest legs you could imagine he looked ridiculous hunched over this little wooden table that was covered in scattered papers and books. His head was down and he was concentrating on his work so he didn't see me standing in the doorway, scanning over his choice of patterned shirt which happened to be a dark purple with black flowers printed on it. I cleared my throat as I entered and he glanced up, not seeming bothered about my presence and looking back down to his papers.

I awkwardly sat down opposite him, taking a deep breath. "Uhh... Hi."

Without looking up he mumbled, "I thought you hated me."