Chapter 2

As I made my way outside, I sighed at the warm summer breeze which comforted me after my awkward interaction with a criminal just moments before. The sun was still out but low in the sky, I stopped momentarily and smiled as a familiar silver car waiting across the street caught my eye. I approached the parked vehicle and crouched to get a better view of its driver, when my suspicions were confirmed I smiled again and opened the door to climb in.

"Hey," a kind smile was sent my way as my boyfriend Liam sat lazily in the driver's seat, turning the loud music down as I hopped into the car. His short, mousy hair is set into a small quiff at the front and his brown eyes glistened in the light of the sun.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked with a light chuckle as I pulled the door shut and yanked the seatbelt across my chest.

"I just thought I'd come pick you up, I was sure you'd walk straight past me and I'd be sat here for hours," he laughed, fastening his seatbelt too.

"How long have you been here?" Liam turned on the ignition and cool air shot out the vents on the dashboard.

"About half an hour, I didn't know when you'd be coming out so I just thought I'd wait." He turned his attention from me to the road as he pulled away, beginning the short drive back to my house. I'd walked here this afternoon so I would've happily walked home too, but it's nice of him to wait for me for that long just so he could drive me home.

"You didn't have to do that," I pointed out quietly and he smiled again.

"I know. Anyway, how was it?"

"I'm not supposed to tell you anything about it, you know that don't you?" I laughed.

"I know, I know. But come on you can tell me something, right? I only asked how it was!"

"I'm just teasing, it was quite interesting actually. The guy on trial was about your age." Liam is two years older than me; I'm seventeen and he's nineteen. I don't think my mother would be as accepting of the whole thing if Liam wasn't the lovely, genuine guy that he is.

"Oh really?" he nods, but I know he's only half listening when I look to him and he's concentrating hard on the road. I'm secretly relieved when he doesn't ask the man's name or for a description of him, I don't know why, but I am.

"Yeah, I would say we're not even half way through the case yet. I know I was only asked to go and see one hearing but I was thinking of going back, you know? I want to find out the verdict."

"Oh yeah, sure. You can't just watch the beginning and not find out what happens at the end!"

"Exactly," I agree with a giggle at the fact it sounds like he's referring to it as a movie.

"I could drive you?" he offers, but I shake my head.

"No, it's okay. Really."

"Suit yourself," he teases as we finally approach my house, my smile weakens as I spot my father's car parked outside.

My dad left us almost a year ago. I have no idea what he could be doing here because since his departure my mum and brother hate his guts. My mother changed her surname back to her maiden name, but they have yet to file for divorce, and my brother Niall even decided to take my mother's maiden name as well. Personally, I don't really feel the same - my dad has made his mistakes and seemingly he continues to make them, but he's my dad and I'll always love him and try my hardest to forgive him. My mother kicked him out when she found out he'd been messing around with a younger woman that he works with, and now he lives in a small flat on the other side of town by himself. I visited him sometimes, and occasionally we'd go out for lunch or coffee but the rest of my family want nothing to do with him.