Chapter 66

My dad soon hurried off, probably not enjoying the tension in the living room. After he'd gone I got the blankets out and we sat and watched even more Christmas telly - my mum on one sofa, Harry and I on the other, and Niall in the armchair. We all had a mug of hot chocolate and the Quality Street chocolates were out on the coffee table. The warm and cosy atmosphere made me really excited for Christmas day.

As much as I wanted to cuddle up to Harry, I kept a little bit of space between us to humour my brother. I sat with my legs across his under the blanket and he unnoticeably kept his hands on my calves. It irritated me that it seemed like Harry felt he couldn't even breathe in my house without being scrutinised, he was tense and quiet for the majority of the evening.

Until my mum decided to pipe up.

"So Harry, I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to actually find out about you. What do you do with yourself?" she asked him, her voice was just the tiniest bit condescending. I was praying this wouldn't go off on an awful tangent and make things more awkward.

"Umm," Harry cleared his throat, "I'm doing art, geography and history at sixth form."

"Wow, really?" She was clearly surprised by his choices. "I would never have guessed you'd be into those subjects. Do you enjoy it?"

"Yeah," he nodded, still acting sheepish. His fingers were tightening around my leg, telling me he was a bit nervous.

"What about your parents? What do they do?"

"My mum's a psychiatrist and my dad's a lawyer."

My mother's eyebrows shot up, and I was almost grinning smugly. I liked that she had expected Harry and his family to be a bit rough and dim, but the reality was quite different.

"Quite the impressive bunch you are, then," she joked, and Harry smiled. "And where are your parents now?"

"They're in Australia."

"Australia... Nice. Were you not invited?" she laughed, sipping her hot chocolate casually. She was definitely more relaxed than Harry was, but I think he was starting to chill out since she'd started to show that she wasn't a total monster.

"I was, I just didn't want to go. Christmas in the burning heat just isn't right," he chuckled. Even the first time he'd said it, I got the inkling that there was more to it than that, but I didn't ask.

Niall was watching the pleasant exchange bitterly from across the room, probably angry that our mum and Harry were getting on. It was strange that she'd warmed to him so quickly after just the other week forbidding me from seeing him, but I guess she was realising that he wasn't so bad after all. I was actually sort of proud that he was able to be himself and earn my mother's approval so easily - I was proud that he was my boyfriend.

From then on Harry seemed a bit happier, feeling comfortable talking to me a bit more, not feeling like my family were breathing down his neck just waiting for him to slip up. My mum would occasionally think of something to ask him about himself, and he'd find it much easier to reply without it sounding anxious or forced. He was still a bit shy considering this was his girlfriend's mum quizzing him and Niall was still not in a good mood with him (or any of us), but he was doing well.

After a few hours of lounging around, my mum got up and started doing her nightly routine of locking the doors, turning everything off, tidying the kitchen and so on. I gathered everyone's mugs and left Harry alone with Niall - to which he gave me a helpless and scared plea not to leave with his eyes, which I ignored - as I took them out to the kitchen.

"I feel kind of like I owe you an apology," my mum muttered quietly to me as I entered the kitchen, placing my armful of cups onto the side and prepping the dishwasher.