CHAPTER 16 (Part-2)

(Ella's POV)

We were miserable that night. We camped out in the woods, in a clearing that kids had been using for parties.

The ground was littered with flattened soda cans and fast-food wrappers. We took some food and blankets from Aunty Em’s, but we didn’t dare light a fire to dry our clothes.

The Furies and Medusa had provided enough excitement for one day. We decided to sleep in shifts. I volunteered to take first watch.

Annie curled up on the blankets & was snoring as soon as her head hit the ground. Grover fluttered with his flying shoes to the lowest bough of a tree, put his back to the trunk, & stared at the night sky.

"Get some sleep." I told him. "I'll wake you if there’s trouble." He nods & closes his eyes.

"Hey, mind if I joined you?" Percy asked.

"Not at all." I pat the spot next to me, he sits.

"So, uh..t-there's only one...blanket l-left. I think you should have it."

"We can share it too. It's big enough for both of us." I said. He stiffened as I wrap the blanket around both of us.

"Comfy?" I asked him.

"Very." He replies blushing. We sat in silence.

I stared at my palm that got cut in the bus. The wound was still bleeding. Percy notices.

"How'd it happen?" He asks holding my hand.

"Well...when you hard turn a bus with people in it you toss them around." He winced.

"I'm sorry. I know that was stupid."

"Hey, it's cool, you did kill them in the end."

He grabs a bandage & sits. He patches the cut carefully. Then asks.

"How're we gonna get to the Underworld? What chance do we even have against a god?"

"I don’t know," I admitted. "But back at Medusa’s, when you searched her office? Annie was telling me-"

"Oh, I forgot. Annabeth will have a plan all figured out." He cuts me off

"Don’t be so hard on her, Perce. She’s had a tough life, but she’s a good person once you get to know her. And she..." I trail off.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just..she's the last one to see Thalia besides Luke, before she...but, as I was saying, she & I agree that something weird's going on. Something isn’t as it seems."

"Well, duh. I’m getting blamed for stealing a thunderbolt that Hades took." He said.

"That’s not what I meant," I said. "The Kindly Ones were sort of holding back. Like your math teacher at Yancy...why'd she wait so long to try killing you? Then, on the bus, they weren’t as aggressive as they could’ve been."

"They seemed plenty aggressive to me."

I shook my head. "They were screeching: Where is it? Where?"

"Asking about me," he said.

"No...they weren’t asking about a person. They said 'Where is it?' They were asking about an object."

"That doesn’t make sense."

"I know. But if we misunderstood something about the quest, we have nine days to find dad's bolt before..." I shuddered.

"I haven’t been honest with you, I don’t care about the bolt. I'm going to the Underworld so I can bring my mom back." He said.

"I know that, Perce. But, you sure that’s the only reason?" I asked looking him in the eye.

"I’m not doing it to help my dad. He doesn’t care about me. I don’t care about him."

"Look, Percy, I’m not smart as Annabeth. But I’m good at reading minds & emotions. You’re glad your dad's alive. You felt good when he claimed you, part of you wants to make him proud. That’s why you sent Medusa’s head to Olympus. You want him noticing what you did."

"Yeah? Well then your skills don't work well. Maybe you shouldn't just go around assuming stuff about people." Ouch..that hurt.

"Okay, Percy. Whatever." I turned away from him & lay my head on the ground with a sigh.

"No wait, I didn't mean it like that, Nora." He said, but I ignored him.

Grover woke up & said. "How about I take first watch, huh? You two get some sleep."

I knew he was listening to our conversation. He started to play Mozart, soft & sweet, & I closed my eyes. After a few bars of Piano Concerto no. 12, I was asleep.

In my dream I stood in a dark cavern: the Underworld. Atleast, I think it was. There was a pitch black pit which seemed bottomless.

An evil voice sent chills down my spine. 'Daughter of Zeus, this isn't your quest. Too weak & too young. Do you wish to die like your sister? Join me. Help me rise child.'

Then I saw Grover with the flying shoes get dragged into the pit. I felt a force around my neck, I couldn't breathe & began to choke.

"No..Grover...not...the shoes." I choked out.

I wake up with a gasp & my head banged into something hard. "Oh my gods, Annie! Are you okay."

"Yeah, fine. Which shoes do you mean?"

"Huh? Oh, that its nothing...just a dream."

I knew she sensed my hesitation, but she didn't question it any further. She can practically almost read my mind, even though I'm the one with those powers.

"Okay, why don't you go wake Percy up."

I nod & go over to where he was sleeping. I was still upset about what he said to me last night & the dream upset me even more.

It wasn't just a dream, i think it was a vision of the future. With a sigh I wake Percy up.

Vote, comment & share.
Take care my lovely readers.❤
Alice signing off.
XOXO.