28. love, kat

Dear Remus,

Sorry that it's taken me so long to write to you, my mother found out I was writing letters out to my friends and she gave me a lecture on hanging out with the right company, so instead of making her worry that I was sending letters I just decided not to write any. But since she's out at work right now, I found it was the perfect time to write to you.

How is your summer going? Mine is going fine I suppose. I guess I'm just terribly exhausted from boring summers, or maybe I just miss all my friends back in school.  My house is painfully quiet and calm (a little too much for my liking). My mother has been working non-stop and when she's not working she's sleeping. It's only normal to be concerned right?

I hope she doesn't put too much pressure on herself but whenever I ask to help out she tells me to go study or read.

It might sound bad but I know she cares for me.

Anyway enough about me, how are you? I assume full moons are easier to deal with when you're at home but you still must be having a hard time. Try having something sweet, that always seems to help me when I'm having a hard time (and I know how much you like chocolate).

I hope you are having a better summer than me and I miss you.

Love, Kat

Dear Kat,

I miss you too.

The full moon went by fine. As fine as it can get I guess, and I'll definitely keep that in mind about the sweets.

I'm sorry your summer isn't going great but if it helps neither is mine. These past weeks have been an absolute bore. Thankfully James is inviting me to his parent's summer house next week, Sirius, Peter, Lily, Mary, and Marlene will be there too. If it isn't a bother, I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come too. 

Don't worry I already thought of your mom. I assume she would refuse from what you've told me about her, which is why I asked James if he could ask his mom if she could ask your mom. You told me your mom had become friends with Mrs.Potter so maybe she would say yes.

I really hope she does.

Love, Remus

"Katherine!" 

Katherine heard the loud voice of her mother call her from downstairs. Kat quickly made her way down the creaky, old stairs hoping she hadn't taken too long or else her mother would give her another lecture about listening to instructions properly or being on time.

"Yes, mother?" She asked once she entered the living room where her mother was sitting.

Her mother held an unfolded letter in her palm with an ripped envelope sitting on the brown coffee table. "Do you know what this is about?" She asked in a voice Kat knew wasn't a kind one.

Kat's heart started beating faster. Had Remus written to her again? She was lucky that last time the letter had arrived mid-day when her mom was gone, but maybe it had arrived later today. "What do you mean?" Her voice sounded stable despite her being nervous out of her mind.

"Did you know Euphemia's son was going to invite you to their beach house?" She asked in curiosity.

A quick sigh left Kat's lips, "Um, no I didn't." She lied.

"Well, she's sent me a letter asking if you can go," Her mother said, putting the letter down on the table.

"Oh um," Kat smiled, patiently awaiting her mother to say yes, "That's cool." She played it cool.

Her mother nodded without returning the smile. "I hope you'll take care of yourself Katherine, no misbehaving, no alcohol, no boys," She started and Katherine blinked, "When I was your age, kids were getting ahead of themselves, but you need to focus on your studies and getting a job soon-"

"Wait," Katherine's eyes sparkled, "I can go?" She asked, her question full of doubt.

"Yes, you may go," Her mother let out a breath, "Just because I know that Euphemia is responsible and I'm sure her son is no different."

If only she knew. Kat fought the urge to laugh at the statement that was far from the truth but simply smiled brightly, "Thank you so much mom!" She raced to her mother and wrapped her arms around her, digging her body in the warm embrace of her mother. 

Her mother smiled and patted her head lightly, "I'm trusting you Katherine,"

Kat pulled away from the hug, "I promise I won't get into trouble," She put on a confident smile.

Her mother gave her another light smile before her serious, casual expression returned, "Okay then, go on and pack," 

Kat nodded quickly and rushed up to her room. She shut the old door of her bedroom and leaned her back on it, she covered her mouth with her hands and kept her excited squeals as quiet as possible.

Katherine Vu was spending the summer with Remus Lupin.