25. running off

"You better write me every single day Katherine Vu!" Marlene told Kat in a fake stern voice

"Woah, full name," Lily pointed out sarcastically, "She must be super serious." She said making Kat giggle and Marlene frown.

"Shut up!" Marlene slapped the side of Lily's arm lightly, "I'm serious! These are the last few days we can see each other," She whined.

"We'll see each other again in a couple of months." Lily rolled her eyes.

"Whatever," Marlene sighed before turning her head over to Kat, "You'll write me won't you Kat." Marlene said, "Kat?" Marlene repeated, noticing that Kat's attention was no longer on her. Instead, Kat was watching Remus as he stood up from the table and made his way out of the Great Hall.

She quickly grew embarrassed as the thought of how long she had been watching him flew across her mind.

Kat looked back to her friends who were awaiting her answer and stood up, "I'll be right back."

"What?" Marlene asked, but Kat was already heading off, "Wait, Kat!"

Kat heard Marlene calling her, but it was too late for her to go back, she was already too busy following behind Remus Lupin. She stepped slowly in order for him to not notice her suspiciously following behind him.

After a couple of twists and turns through the castle, he stepped into the library with Kat following behind him. That was when Kat noticed the books he had in his arms, he carried a small stack of books and walked through the book-filled aisles.

After a couple of seconds, Kat's footsteps were still, wondering if she should stop creepingly following behind the boy.

"Are you following me?" Remus's voice echoed. Kat froze, as she wondered what excuse she could make to sound sane. Remus stayed still, not facing Kat but facing the bookshelves.

"Um, would you believe me if I said no?" Kat brought her shoulders up sheepishly.

Remus let out a breath that sounded like a laugh, which made Kat slightly less embarrassed, "Probably not," He smiled, before turning away and continuing to walk. "Why were you following me?" He asked this time in a smaller voice, almost as if he were embarrassed by his question or maybe embarrassed of her answer.

Kat stood still, and for a few seconds, she didn't know the answer herself. She wasn't sure why she stood up and decided to quietly follow behind Remus, she guessed she had imagined something would come out of the situation. "Um," She said before pausing, "I was just curious to see what you were up to."

"Well, it's nothing special," Remus replied before continuing to walk again, "I'm just putting these books back so I don't accidentally take them home."

"Oh," The word came out of Kat's mouth although she didn't want to say anything. She still trailed behind him, not exactly sure if she should leave or awkwardly stay.

Remus could tell that she was could tell she was contemplating leaving so before she could turn her heels and walk away, he spoke up and asked, "What are you doing this summer?" He asked. The question was simple and maybe a tad bit random at the moment, but he didn't want her to leave.

"Oh, um, nothing probably," Kat answered with a small shrug.

"Oh okay,"

Kat nodded, "What about you?" It was her time to ask.

"Nothing as well."

"Oh okay," Kat said.

The next few seconds were silent, both of them trying to think of the next thing to say to escape the awkward silence.

"I'll miss you," Remus said. He had guessed that had been a bit too desperate to say anything that he found himself admitting such a thing. His words went by so quickly that Kat had to take a moment to repeat them in her mind.

He was staring directly at her. If anyone else had said that to Kat, she would've smiled and replied quickly, but it was different. It was Remus. Why did it have to be him? Why did it have to be him that said such things that made her heart race?

"Oh, um, me too," Kat finally replied but she internally winced at how flustered her voice sounded.

They stayed the way for a while. Watching each other, waiting for themselves or the other to move or say anything.

It must've been Remus's emotions that took hold of him when he stepped closer to her. Right away he regretted it but he didn't move back. Their faces were too close for his heart to not thump rapidly.

He could clearly see when Kat's eyes widened and looked up toward him. Her gaze was careful, and her cheeks were tinted in a light pink color.

"I have to go." The words quickly escaped her mouth before she turned away and walked off swiftly.

Remus stood still quietly, watching the girl turn around to leave, wondering what in Merlin's name possibly did to make him do something that clearly left them both flustered.

Once Kat stepped out of the library doors she pressed her back towards the wall and held her heart. Trying her best to stop it from beating so quickly. She let out a small sigh, thankful that she was finally alone.

"I'm such an idiot," She said, groaning at idea of her foolish self running off like an idiot a few seconds before.