Chapter 9: Erumalu, City of Green

Start from the beginning

I finally understood why when I got to the two. It wasn't a person, it was their remains. A cloak with a skull where the head should've been lay in the sand in front of us.

Vivi kneels down, her voice shaking with either anger or sadness. "What did my father do...what did the people of the country do to deserve this?"

I see Luffy, Sanji, and Usopp shake in anger as they head over to a ruined building while Vivi expresses how unfair the situation is. The three destroy it out of anger before walking back

I couldn't take my eyes off the skull though. Faces of my people flash in my brain as I feel an overwhelming anxiety take over. Did my father take his anger out on them? Are they really okay? What if someone attacked my kingdom like Vivi's kingdom was being attacked?

Ace squatted down, digging a small hole for a makeshift grave. Vivi nodded thanks to the pirate as she gently placed the skull in the hole.

"Vivi! Let's do this now!" Our captain cracked his shoulder as he held his hand in a fist, a determined look stretching across his face. "Im itching to do this now."

"Let's go to Yuba!"

"That's where the rebel army is, right!"

Vivi nodded at Zoro's question. "Yes, I'm going to persuade the leader to stop all of this pointless bloodshed!"

Zoro raised a brow in doubt. "Persuade?"

I watched as Vivi spoke with determination. I could see why my mom liked her so much. She held a confident aura and even at first glance you could tell she was a princess. I could practically feel all the responsibilities that were weighing on her shoulders.

The other began to walk ahead as Vivi and I stayed back to look at the grave along with the city once more. Guilt and anxiety race through my veins as I turn to Vivi and put a hand on her shoulder. "You will stop this war. Only a princess like you has what it takes."

She smiles weakly at me, not seeing a point in putting up a brave act in front of me, and nodded. And with that said, we joined the others.

~•~

"So hot...even sweat won't come out." Luffy struggled to keep walking as his tongue hung out of his mouth, begging for moisture.

Nami fanned herself as she looked back at the boy. "Stop moaning Luffy you'll only make yourself more tired." Upon hearing a louder groan she narrowed her eyes, irritated. "Guess he's not listening."

Usopp was in the same condition as Luffy except he wasn't groaning as much and Chopper was worse than both as he lay on a plank of wood that Zoro was dragging.

"It's cause of all that fur..." Usopp's voice sounded more ragged than usual from the lack of water. "You should take off that fur suit."

I managed to chuckle, fanning myself as well as I watched Chopper instantly become irritated at the boy with a long nose.

Chopper turned big and immediately hovered over Usopp telling him not to make fun of reindeer to which Usopp yelled 'monster' after screaming like a girl, his legs shaking. Zoro yelled at Chopper to turn back before forcing the reindeer to turn back to his small form so he could continue pulling him.

"Vivi-chwan, you don't seem to be bothered as much."

Vivi smiled at Sanji as she told him that she was born and raised here so it's to be expected.

"Still why are there so many hills..."

"This is an old desert!" Vivi began to answer Usopp's question, which I thought was a rhetorical one, but go off princess, as she explained the sand dunes could be very deep or something along those lines.

Frankly, it was way too hot to be thinking or even listening very well, at least for me. I glance at Nami who told Luffy to take one mouthful forgetting that he was rubber and then hitting him when he took a huge mouthful. Nami, Usopp, and Sanji got in a tussle with Luffy and with each other as they fought over who would drink next.

I sweatdropped on the now-wet sand as Luffy spit out the water that was in his mouth after Nami and Usopp hit him making me sigh at the waste of water.

~*~

"It was so hot, what happened?"

Vivi and Nami hold themselves as they sit near the fire while Vivi explains to Nami that the desert becomes below zero at night.

"Look at the stars!" Chopper smiles as he looks up at the sky in awe before telling Usopp that on his island you were unable to see the stars.

"I don't have the luxury for stars right now." Usopp's teeth chattered before he snuggled up to Chopper claiming that his fur suit was nice and cozy. Chopper turned big once more and scolded him for making fun of reindeer before Luffy jumped on the doctor making him turn small and become suffocated between the liar and the captain.

I watch from the corner of my eye as Ace and Vivi talk about something I couldn't hear. The sight of the man smiling because of something she said and Vivi laughing made an uncomfortable feeling arise in my chest.

"You don't have to worry about Vivi." Nami sat down next to me and gave me a reassuring smile. "The only thing on her mind is saving her country."

I looked away from her and towards the fire, putting on a stoic facade. "What do you mean?"

She nudge my shoulder with hers as she got closer, the left side of her body touching my side, finding comfort in my warmth. "I see how you are with him. Us girls have a spot on intuition."

I roll my eyes and chuckle, leaning into her as well to provide as much warmth as I could. "I've just known him for a long time that's all."

Nami hummed at my answer, eyeing me suspiciously before gesturing toward the male and the other princess. "So, you don't feel anything when you look at them?"

My eyes shift to the two in question as I watch them interact. Ace catches my glance and I immediately look away, fixing my gaze back on the fire. "No."

Nami chuckled as she got up and dusted her clothes off. "Whatever you say." She continued to walk over to the girl's tents to go to sleep, not bothering to fall asleep outside like the rest of the boys.