Ch.13: River Walk

Yn's POV:

Church was awkward to say the least. There was just a big silence between the family. I felt right in the middle of it all. This went on for two hours before the service ended. Jake and I walked out to his truck with Grace and her fiancé once again.

The drive home was even more awkward. It was silent. Other then the radio playing faintly in n the background. When we got home Jake and I changed out of our church cloths to wear something more comfortable to walk around in.

I fixed my short white and pink skirt in the mirror. I had a white shirt in that had a v-neckline and long sleeves, hand cuffs bigger towards the end. Tying my tennis shoes and standing back up, Jake wraps his arms around my waist and puts his forehead in my shoulder.

My left arm is cradling both of his, right hand up to his head, playing with his hair. After a while I knew that something was up so I turned to face him. Jakes arms still wrapped around my waist, my hands on both sides of his face.

"Hey, what's going on Jake?" I question looking into his eyes.

"I feel like my whole family is so pissed at me."

"I bet they are." He shot my an offended look. "You didn't tell them that you're getting deployed. To Iraq. For eight months. And now, it's a suicide mission?"

He looked down with guilt in his eyes. "Are you mad at me?" He barely even whispered.

"Mad? No." I shook my head bringing his to meet my eyes. "Worried? Yes. Terrified? Absolutely. But I'm not the one going. I can't even imagine the stress your work puts on you."

"You get use to it after a while."

"Doesn't mean you can't be stressed. Or anxious, or worried."

"All I want is to make my family proud. And now they're pissed because I'm trying my best to? I handed them my childhood devoting my life to them. Whatever they wanted, I gave it to them. I just want them to realize that I'm doing the best I can."

"I see it." Jakes gaze softened. "I see how much your work means to you. I know we've only known each other for about five months, but Jake, I am so proud of you. So so proud of you. And I know your family is to. But don't do this for them. Don't do it for me. Do it for yourself?"

He nodded his head. "What if you're the only person I want to do it for?"

A sigh escaped my mouth, "why do it for me?"

"You're the only one that has supported me. No matter what... You're the only one that keeps me going. You're the only one that I don't want to, no, I can't lose you."

I chuckled a little bit, he looked at me strangely. "And what makes you think you're getting rid of me?"

"I love you Yn."

"And I love you Jake. Don't you ever forget that."

I pulled him into a kiss, "I won't. I have amazing memory." He mumbles into the kiss.

I giggle. That's the Jake I know and love. I pull away, hands resting in his chest. "Let's go cowboy."

We walked out to his trunk and set off for San Antonio.Boomer was in the back looking outside the window. All the windows were down. Being the passenger princess I am, I get full DJ responsibilities. Not even five minutes into getting in the free way, Paper Rings by Taylor Swift plays throughout the truck.

The moon is high
Like your friends when we first met
Went home and tried to stalk you in the internet