Ch.5: Back Home

Yn's POV:

The next few days were pretty boring. Almost everyday I went up to the house and cleaned it, and then went to the diner and put finishing touches on everything. I took Jakes advice and used the wall separating the kitchen and the dining room for a picture wall.

Jake and I hung out almost every night, getting to know each other even more. One night he told me that he was shipping out for his mission on Saturday and didn't know when he was going to come back.

It worried me. I cared for him, even though we weren't official or anything. I wanted him to come home safe. That leads me to Monday. The diner was opening. I put flyers up around town and made an instagram account for it, announcing that we were opening.

While people were lined down the street I took a deep breath. It took a while to be here, but I was finally here. 26 years old and finally opening the diner. I opened the door and the waitress' seated everyone down.

While people were looking around and all the tables were full I went to the counter and stood on it. Everyone's attention was in me.

"Hi guys." I got a few hi's back. "I'm not one for speeches, but I feel like this is important. Growing up, I had an older brother, Max, and a twin sister, Haylee. When Haylee and I were 17 on our birthday, we decided that when we were 26, we were going to open a diner. We started doing drawing for what we wanted the diner to look like. They're the ones that are hanging up.

"At 22 years old, four years ago, Haylee was welcomed home by God. From that day on, I continued our dream. Thus, I present 'Haylee's Diner.' I hope you enjoy the work that we put into this place." I got down from the counter and people started clapping.

One person shouted, "to Haylee!" and raised his glass. Everyone followed suit. I smiled and continued on. While I was making my rounds welcoming everyone, the bell of the door chimed. I looked up and saw Jake.

I turned to the family I was talking to, "I'll be right back."

I quickly made my way to him. I engulfed him in a big hug. My arms wrapped around his neck. He was still in his uniform, meaning he got back a little bit ago.

"You're here." I whispered into his ear.

"I'm here." He tightened his grip around my waist before setting me down on the ground. "You think I'm actually going to miss my girls big day."

My eyes widened at him saying 'my girl'. "Your girl?"

"Yeah?" He said, as if he only realized what he said.

"I like the sound of that." I smiled. Giving him a short kiss. "There's a seat open at the counter."

"I'll take it."

"Okay follow me." I took his hand in mine and showed him his seat. I got behind the counter and asked, "what do you want to drink?" while giving him a menu.

"Water, please." He told me.

"Okay." I got him a glass of water, "I'm gonna go check on some people I'll be back." 

"I'll be here."

I walked around and stopped at the table that I was talking to before Jake got here, "sorry about that. How's everything tasting?"

"Really good." The dad said.

"Well I'm glad. If you need anything I'll be walking around."

I went to a few different tables before returning back to Jake. "Has anyone asked what you want?"

"Yeah, a girl with blonde hair." He replied.

I paused for a second before continuing. "I didn't know you were coming home today."