♔ 𝕱𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 - 𝕱𝔬𝔲𝔯 ♔

I'm uploading today because I'm working all day tomorrow and don't want to leave you guys hanging -
Also, just a quick one - im doing a giveaway on my Instagram @ aimeeauthor_writes to win a signed copy of Behind Darkness and Deceit, along with lots of other dark fantasy books!

Now, enjoy this Calix POV.

♔ ℭ𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔵 ♔

Nira believes that she has become a master at blanketing her emotions with a cold impassiveness, and I see no harm in letting her believe that she has us all convinced. Except today.

It was clear to us all, despite her words of anger and her display of pure and unrelenting power, she was scared in all manner of the word. Ezekiel's appearance has shattered her facade. She was twice as terrified when she believed that it was to be Zaire who she saw in the foyer of the Night Court House.

I can acknowledge, and even understand, why she reacts in such a way. I have heard her broken rendition of what occurred between Nira and the Lord of Abutilon, and know that it has scarred her in a way that despite it being invisible, is permanently debilitating. From how fondly she speaks of Sloan, and the way her eyes glaze at every mention of her name, I know that the way he murdered her friend is something that will forever more haunt her. I know that her anger and need for vengeance is not at all a lie, but I also know better than to think her feelings are not more complex than that.

Zaire and I have never had an amicable relationship. To see him dead would not be something that burdened me. If Nira was not the one who wished to take his life, that I would claim that responsibility without conscience. He is a thorn in my side, as are several of the other Lords. Except, there are none other than him that wished so desperately to usurp the throne of Vrodora. It is Zaire who is a glutton for power, but then, so am I. It is one of several reasons why we will never come to get along.

What concerns me most is that for now, while mine and Nira's plans align, we can make use of one another. We can work together to both stop Zaire from reaching the throne, and reaping the revenge that she thirsts for. Only, if she were to change her mind, if she reaches the catharsis that Ezekiel desperately tried to push on to her, then what use is this alliance? Could she stomach watching me still do what I intend to, or would she try to stop me, and render us enemies once again?

Zaire will not reach the throne. Nor will so many others that wish for it. If it is a Lord from Vrodora, they will insist on the continuing of this democracy that does not work. If it is the King or Queen of another Realm, we will be nothing but worm food once they are finished with us. This Realm needs stability – a being that can lead well, and has the strength to do so. If Nira and I work together, we can both get what we want. Except, for that, we will both need to be the villains, and while that is a role I have so long been accustomed to, I do not know if her heart has settled with the notion.

If it had, completely, I do not think Ezekiel would have left this Court today.

She is still scared. She fears what Zaire will do if – when – he comes here. Fears what will come of the Night Court, if Zaire is to announce his falsified truths. Fears the Equinox that she has convinced herself to join. Fears what will become of her if she kills those that she once felt a deep and honest love for. It is a shame that fear can lead to rash, reckless, and fatal behaviour. For as long as she is scared, she is a risk to herself, and to me.

I need to know how deep her need for revenge runs. Is it enough? Will we remain at one another's side until we have rid of our mutual enemies, and after the throne seats a worthy monarch? Or are her plans more than I believe them to be? I had thought that she wished only to see Vrodora in ruins, but then she agreed to compete in the Equinox. Is it an elaborate method to kill Zaire, or does she wish to claim this Realm for herself? If that is the case, I do not know what will come of our alliance then.