𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐫

MARCIE SAT AT HER DESK, LOOKING OVER THE CASE FILE she had been given. She and Doug were going undercover as siblings at Litchfield High, where there had been reports of kids slipping substances into the food prepared in their home economics classes. Marcie wondered why kids would think it was a good idea to waste their money on drugs, then practically hand it out to an entire junior class, but hey, it was a weird school.

She was trying to figure out what sort of persona she would invent for herself (since that was often the best part), when she was interrupted by Doug and Hanson talking loudly as they entered the chapel. As usual.

"Well, what are you going to do?" Doug asked.

"I don't know. She gave me this letter, and it's from Kenny. Maybe I should talk to Fuller?"

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"I don't know."

Marcie sighed. Those two were always getting into something. Marcie watched as Hanson finally decided to talk to the captain anyway, walking into his office and shutting the door.

Doug stood awkwardly outside, probably waiting to hear the answer.

"Hey, Doug," she called. "I really need you to look at this with me."

Doug slowly pried himself away from the office, knowing his friend would surely tell him when he came out.

"Okay."

Marcie and Doug had decided on being preppy students, so that they could pretend they were taking home ec very seriously, when Hanson came out of the office, looking sullen.

"Well? What did he say?" Doug asked frantically, even though the answer was clearly evident.

"He says I should just leave it alone," Hanson said.

"Well then," Marcie began. "Maybe you should just leave it alone, whatever it is."

Hanson sighed. "I just feel like there's got to be something else I can do," he said. And with that, he quickly left the chapel.

━ •❃°•°❀°•°❃• ━

Doug played around with the straw in his juice, while Marcie ate her mashed potatoes absentmindedly. The two were having their lunch together in the cafeteria, and the food wasn't exactly their idea of a five star meal.

"I'm really craving a burger right now," Marcie sighed.

"Me too. It's been a while since we all went out and had some good food." Doug replied.

"Yeah, we should all hang out again. I miss just talking and having fun and not working."

"Amen." Doug grinned.

Marcie smiled. Doug was one of her best friends on the force. He was good company, and made boring work feel like a game. Having guys like him on her team made her feel so much safer and happier than she was with that other unit.

"So, what were you and Hanson talking about earlier?" She asked.

Doug took a moment to finish slurping his juice. "Well, you weren't here for this, but Hanson's first case was this kid, Kenny. He was involved in some stuff, owing a guy money, buying drugs, you know."

Marcie nodded.

"So anyway, apparently Kenny is in a rehab center now where he's supposed to get better. But Kenny claims the place is violating his rights. His father won't listen, so he's sending letters to his sister. Today she came to Hanson and showed him the letter, asking him to do something about it."