Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

19. Realization

Sophie hands me a hot chocolate before flopping down next to me. "I can heat something if you want to eat."

"Nah. This will do for tonight," I say, bringing the mug to my lips and softly blowing it. I drove around for some time after I called her, and went to her house after the kids were asleep. She told Chloe that I couldn't make it in time, and that she needed to stay the night in Diana's room.

My sister sighs and leans back on the couch. "I think you should let him explain. Maybe it is a misunderstanding."

"What to explain?" I blow out the hot chocolate again. "They were behind a closed door, Soph, pressed against each other, hugging, her head against his chest, while he could have driven to our house, to spend time with us. He chose to be with her. So, please. No need to defend him. I just need my sister to be on my side right now."

"I'm not trying to– You're right. I'm sorry."

I slowly take a sip of my drink, but the sting of heat makes me wince. "I know Ashton and I will need to talk eventually, but not tonight. I'm too pissed right now."

"Okay," Sophie mumbles. As if knowing I'm not in the mood for talking, she picks up the remote control and changes the channels, while keeping the volume to a minimum.

"We've been having issues," I say after a few-minute of silence between us. Sophie doesn't say anything but I know she's listening. "I've been feeling...I mean it feels like we're drifting apart lately since I left Remington."

"Because you saw him less frequently?"

"That's what I thought in the beginning, but now I'm not so sure anymore."

"Do you believe that Ashton is seeing that chick?"

"Well, they're more than just friends from what I saw."

"But he loves you, Char. Anyone with eyes can see that."

I take another sip, a bigger gulp this time. "I know he loves me, but I guess love is just not enough."

Sophie sighs. "I don't know about that."

"Every relationship has its honeymoon phase. Everything feels so good, so right, in the first what...six months? A year? Or maybe two years? Then reality hits once the surge of excitement goes back to a normal level. It's easier to find new excitement from elsewhere, you know."

My sister doesn't say anything because my words hit the jackpot. It's exactly what happened between her and Chriss, and she chose to divorce him. Well, our cases aren't apple to apple, but this is where it's going. My story with Ashton has come to an end.

"What you feel now is valid, and I hate Ashton for making you feel this way." She gives my shoulder a soft squeeze. "But let's not make any assumptions for now. There's just no point in doing so."

I sigh at the exact line I gave her when she went through the painful moment with Chriss, but I refuse to have a taste of my own medicine right now. I don't want to talk to Ashton or listen to his excuses.

The sound of the doorbell pulls me back to the current moment. Sophie and I exchange a glance.

"Are you expecting someone?"

"No. It must be him." She groans and gets up.

"Don't let him in."

"Of course not. But if he kept ringing the bell, he'd wake up the kids." She gives me a reassuring smile while walking to the entrance hall. "I'll tell him to talk to you tomorrow."

From where I sit, I can hear Ashton's muffled voice. I put the mug onto the coffee table and scoot deeper into the sofa, pulling both my knees up. Leaning on the armrest, I hug my knees into my chest, my eyes staring blankly at the TV screen.