Wattpad Original
There are 17 more free parts

3. Hard Truth

"Char–"

"Don't char me." I cross my arms over my chest. "Explain why you did what you did."

He sighs, taking his time with replying. "So, our family business hit the international market way before Remington did," Ashton starts, still keeping his gaze on my lap. "Sadly, besides our success and big name, we also have plenty of enemies who want to take down the Knight business empire. There has always been a war since my father was still alive. My dad was known as a ruthless business player and not that likable, but the thing is, we just can't stop this business war even after he passed away. It was handed to the next generation, and they won't stop until they ruin us completely."

"But what does it have anything to do with me?"

"Let me finish. And to keep our position as one of the top players, we need to be very careful, especially in deciding with whom we are connected. And–" he pauses, rubbing his shaven jaw, "at the moment, I would like to keep you as far as possible from the business players that have a not very-bright history with the Knight empire."

I tilt my head with confusion. "I don't understand."

"I know it sounds ridiculous and probably we're worrying over nothing, but since you're now publicly connected to me, you're one of us now. We need to take the necessary measures to protect you."

Not that word again. It makes me feel like I'm a helpless human being. "Protecting me by choosing which clients I can approach?"

"Yes."

"And by making someone on my team do my administrative work? As if I'm getting a personal assistant while the rest don't get the same treatment?"

"You're spending more time with me at the gala parties, dinners, and other social events. Not to mention your meeting schedule with overseas clients that makes you often stay longer at work, you need help to get the rest done."

I narrow my eyes. "But why did I just hear it now? Why didn't I, at least, get notified that someone has to do extra work to take care of my shit? And did she even get paid enough for this?"

Ashton strokes his jaw again, while his other hand is on his hip. "I suppose she should've gotten a salary adjustment. I will need to check on Dickson about this."

Sighing, I get up and pace across the room. "I still can't wrap my head around this. What could your enemies do to me?"

"You don't wanna know, Char. They're not the kindest people on earth, for sure," he replies. "Dickson made his mistake back when he lead Knight & Co., and it was the reason he was forced to step down from the CEO chair. He learned his lesson, and now we don't want you to be in that situation."

I massage my temple, getting more frustrated every second. "I think you're just paranoid. Look, I'm not a CEO or one of the executive members. Nothing is going to happen to me."

"I wouldn't be so sure."

My head snaps, and I squint my eyes at him. It feels like I'm talking to a wall right now. "Maybe you just don't have enough trust in me."

"That's not true."

"And the fact that you didn't even tell me from the start makes me wild right now." I throw my hands in the air and groan to let out my growing anger.

"I'm sorry, Char," Ashton says. "I thought it was better if you didn't know because it might distract you. You still have other big fish to catch, and look how good you are at it."

I stop short and turn my head to him. "So, you would never have told me if I hadn't accidentally found out, would you?"

"Well, I was planning to, but as I said, I didn't want to burden you with our family problems...yet. It's just not relevant right now." When I groan again, he continues. "I was planning to tell you about this arrangement when the time came. I'm sorry you found out this way, but I'm not sorry I made these decisions."